Crude oil mechanics?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Crude oil mechanics?

Post by someone1337 »

I would like to know how the yield/crude-oil mechanics changed from 0.14 to 0.15?

I ask because I would like to be forced to expand beyond my 2 oil-fields, but the one with 5 oil spots has 8200% combined yield and simply wont seem to go down...
It seems my crude-oil spots wont ever go down to anywhere near 20%...

Even the spot at my spawn area seems to have just gone down to 51%, which is still way more than 20%.

I use RSO and Angels infinite ores as maybe relevant mods.
Angels seems to have some setting to set the minimum oil yield - but I havent touched that setting and it shows "20".

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Crude oil mechanics?

Post by Jap2.0 »

I wasn't entirely sure about it (I had a rough idea) so I went to the 0.15 patch notes to check and decided to just give you some quotes instead.
0.15 patch notes wrote:Crude oil balancing: Halved the resource amount on the map Increased the minimum yield from 10% to 20% Halved the rate of depletion. Doubled the starting yield. Fixed that the mechanics of increasing richness with distance from start wasn't working for crude oil.
Friday Facts 160 wrote:Change the oil so the minimum yield is dependent on the starting yield so better fields are also better later on.
In simpler terms, oil patches now only decrease to 20% of their original yield (instead of 0.1 oil/second for all patches previously).

RSO definitely changed stuff, but I haven't used that yet so I can't tell you how normal your situation is yet. 51% as a spawn area minimum yield seems way too high.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

ty.
it seems to be some issue with angels infinite ores...

edit: traced this weird behavior to angelsinfiniteores_0.6.11.zip:/data.lua
commenting out the last two lines "fixed" the crude oil in my starting area...

Code: Select all

--OIL YIELD CHANGE MODIFIER
	angelsmods.ores.oilyield = settings.startup["angels-oil-gas-yield"].value * 1000

--	data.raw.resource["crude-oil"].minimum = angelsmods.ores.oilyield
--	data.raw.resource["crude-oil"].normal = 100000
Or a maybe better "fix" would be so these two values match Factorio\data\base\prototypes\entity\resources.lua:

Code: Select all

--OIL YIELD CHANGE MODIFIER
	angelsmods.ores.oilyield = settings.startup["angels-oil-gas-yield"].value * 1000

data.raw.resource["crude-oil"].minimum = angelsmods.ores.oilyield * 3
	data.raw.resource["crude-oil"].normal = 100000 * 3 
edit2:
... but the distant spot has still too much yield :(
maybe its rso's fault too?
Last edited by someone1337 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

The more i read the code and tinker around, the more i think its just angel's infinite ores that change stuff that gets partially ignored messing up the yields (in the starting area).
Whereas the quote needs to be interpreted as "the minimum yield on distant fields will be bigger than 20%.", which would be consistent with the crude oil in the distant area to not go below 155%.
As in: with distance the yield basically started really high and went down to 20% of the initial amount, but thanks to the distance its still 155%?
Attachments
yield.png
yield.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2034 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”