How to find lost parts ?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Green_Baron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How to find lost parts ?

Post by Green_Baron »

Hey guys,

i just stumbled over a dropped locomotive from earlier in the game. Looking at my inventory i have a single underground belt entrance (or exit). This feels like running around with one sock ....

How do you hunt down such dropped or missing items ? Do you leave them ? Shoot them ? Anybody as psychopathic as i am with tidying up ? Maybe there is mod ? Or a game function i haven't noticed yet ?

Cheers :-)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to find lost parts ?

Post by Serenity »

The logistics system takes care of this. Have a couple of storage chests. Then you can drop excess into the trash slots. And when you need it, the bots will prioritize storage over passive providers. So if you need a locomotive at some point, you will get the one in storage first.
Vanilla also has auto trash now, so you can automatically trash excess. If that functionality isn't enough for you, there is also the Auto Trash mod.

Things like belts can be easily recycled with the new buffer chests. Output from the yellow belt machines into a buffer (and limit the inserter with a circuit condition, e.g. < X) and from there into the red belt machines. Then also have the buffer request the maximum amount of items. That way anything you have somehow left over will be transported to the buffer and turned into the next stage of belt.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if you take full advantage of underground belts mechanics, you won't mind the odd number of them. ;)
half-underground.png
half-underground.png (56.26 KiB) Viewed 4671 times

Green_Baron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Green_Baron »

Serenity wrote:The logistics system takes care of this. Have a couple of storage chests. Then you can drop excess into the trash slots. And when you need it, the bots will prioritize storage over passive providers. So if you need a locomotive at some point, you will get the one in storage first.
Vanilla also has auto trash now, so you can automatically trash excess. If that functionality isn't enough for you, there is also the Auto Trash mod.

Things like belts can be easily recycled with the new buffer chests. Output from the yellow belt machines into a buffer (and limit the inserter with a circuit condition, e.g. < X) and from there into the red belt machines. Then also have the buffer request the maximum amount of items. That way anything you have somehow left over will be transported to the buffer and turned into the next stage of belt.
But the robots don't pick up stuff that was dropped unplanned, e.g. when running into an "inventory full" or by accidentally pressing z instead of t ... I didn't even know the Loco was there until i rebuilt that part and it showed up. A loco in the grass can easily be overseen :-)
impetus maximus wrote:if you take full advantage of underground belts mechanics, you won't mind the odd number of them. ;)
half-underground.png
How could i miss that :-) ! I'd probably pick it up later accidentally like "Oh a single u-belt, come here". :-)

Solution: i put it in a box and shot it. Now it is dead :twisted:

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

It sometimes happen that you get odd number of underground belt/pipe when biters kill some of them

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

I always place that odd 1 half of underground belt and destroy it XD

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

One easy way is to use deconstruction planner with items on ground filter move it over your whole base.
Doesnt really work with really big bases but then couple missing items are hardly a problem.

Return to “Gameplay Help”