smart inserter with exclusion filter?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

smart inserter with exclusion filter?

Post by Boogieman14 »

I've been giving this some though, but I can't seem to work out if this is possible at all. I'd like a smart inserter to move all items except the ones specified in the filter. Is it somehow possible to build this?
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: smart inserter with exclusion filter?

Post by Boogieman14 »

Thanks, so I guess it's sorta-but-not-quite possible. I'm trying to build an entirely belt/inserter-based train unloader/sorter so all ores won't show up in the logistics network. What I've often done previously, is deconstruct a mining outpost, just drop all components into the last train to leave there and have it all automatically show up in my logistics network at the main base. Looks like that's going to be tricky.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

In that case, you may just be served well enough by a line of smart inserters that are grabbing only ores.
Off-hand, I'd say the amount of space would be less for ensuring you can fully unload a belt of ores, than in making enough inserters so that everything else can be grabbed, and that's without the probability that there will be more than two items of the same filter passing through a tile.

Or, you could just unload all of it into chests, and just have filters taking out the ores, and occasionally come by to clean up manually.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

n9103 wrote:Or, you could just unload all of it into chests, and just have filters taking out the ores, and occasionally come by to clean up manually.
Yeah, i think I'll end up doing that. Or rather, have a system of belts and inserters that take off the bulk of the material, then what's left over I drop into overflow chests. I think I'll feed those overflow chests back into the loop as well, just in case any ore made it through.

Here's what I came up with so far (obviously not quite finished yet):

Return to “Gameplay Help”