Help for Oil refinery

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Atherelm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Help for Oil refinery

Post by Atherelm »

Hello!

First of all sorry for my bad english, I'm not an English-speaking country: /

But I come to this forum because it is almost impossible to find an active community on Factorio in other languages​​: /

And I'm hoping you can help me on an issue that is beginning to annoy me!

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/64115 ... iohelp.jpg

Why the damn machine does NOT petroleum gas product?

At first it worked and the machine producing sulfur was fed but not anymore :(

Thank you in advance for your help!

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Help for Oil refinery

Post by Boogieman14 »

If your storage for one of the output products (heavy, light or petroleum) is full, the refinery will stop producing all three. I'm going to guess that's what's happening (most likely light oil, in your case). So add a chem plant to either crack some light oil into petroleum, or make it into solid fuel.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

And you should add another light oil storage tank in both cases to jump-start the refinery.

Alternatively, you could remove and replace your existing light oil storage tank(s) as a temporary solution, though it's rather expensive, since one tank of light oil can be converted into two tanks of gas.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yup just like the other people said. Your light oil has backed up so it stopped producing. You either need to use the light oil for something, or build more storage tanks for it. :)
Image Image Image

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

In order to balance the oil production, you need to crack heavy and light oil into petro with the "Advanced Refinery Technology (ART)." However, in order to gain the "ART" you need to produce blue science which requires petro production. In my games, the first technology I gain that requires blue science is "ART." In order to prevent the problem your game is having by having too much light oil (or heavy) is to start with 2 liquid storage tanks. 1 for Lubricant (uses heavy oil) and 1 for light oil. Once I have light and heavy cracking, I update my refinery to advanced oil production, add a heavy oil cracking chemistry plant and, over a short period, add 3 light oil cracking chemistry plants.

Another way to deal with too much light or heavy oil is to produce solid fuel from it. I prefer the other way.

Here is my layout with 4 oil refineries.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4568

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

If you're going to make Solid Fuel from Heavy Oil, best to crack it down to Light Oil first, as it's more efficient. (More fuel per Heavy Oil)
Or it was when I looked last. :?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Atherelm wrote:First of all sorry for my bad english, I'm not an English-speaking country: /
I didn't know countries could get forum accounts.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

FishSandwich wrote:
Atherelm wrote:First of all sorry for my bad english, I'm not an English-speaking country: /
I didn't know countries could get forum accounts.
They can. The UK is just banned.

Back on topic. Whilst light oil is the most efficient for solid fuel I feel that cracking everything down to petroleum gas and then converting petroleum gas into solid fuel is the way to go. Makes it easier to handle and you can just focus on cracking everything down to the base level and not have to worry about your solid fuel getting enough light oil before it is cracked.

Return to “Gameplay Help”