Why isnt light oil cracking adding to the pipe pressure?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Why isnt light oil cracking adding to the pipe pressure?

Post by silman »

I have some tanks of light oil being piped down to my light oil cracking facility and then the output is pipe upwards to my main petroleum line. My main petroleum line is connected to my petroleum tank pretty far away but it seems like the petroleum being added to the pipe is just stopping when it connects to the main line...

None of my petroleum, light oil, or heavy oil tanks are full (and even if they were i thought that only stopped the refinery from working, not the cracking process). So what's the deal?

Pictures:

My Light oil cracking producing pretroleum

Following the line up a bit, still pressurized

connection to petrolum main, not pressurized,
NOTE: The pipe-to-ground piece that connects to the main is at full pressure, but the second i hover over the main line it goes down.

Big picture of my petrolem main connecting to its tank

You may ask why the fourth picture shows 1.6 and not 0.9 like the third, it was because my light oil tank WAS full when i took the third picture and then i added another think that it may be the problem, and my refineries started up again making petroleum which raised it to 1.6, but the pipe-to-ground connecting to it is still at 10.

Why isn't my light oil cracking working?
Last edited by silman on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why isnt light oil cracking adding to the pipe pressure?

Post by DaveMcW »

You need 4 pieces for a pipe-to-ground T junction. The middle one must be a normal pipe.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

DaveMcW wrote:You need 4 pieces for a pipe-to-ground T junction. The middle one must be a normal pipe.
My lord.... I can't believe I didnt see that before....

Thanks a bunch, but I think its time for me to go to bed... I have been playing for about 6 hours and clearly am getting delusional.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I think most of us have been there at some point :P

"why won't this work, I need this to work before I go to bed"
6 hours later:
"...oh"
Ignore this

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

silman wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:I have been playing for about 6 hours and clearly am getting delusional.
The pipes...the pipes!

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Not particularly related to the question, but you're going to need much more than one light oil cracking plant.
Assuming you've got no other bottlenecks, you can do at least 2 light oil crackers per refinery.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

n9103 wrote:Not particularly related to the question, but you're going to need much more than one light oil cracking plant.
Assuming you've got no other bottlenecks, you can do at least 2 light oil crackers per refinery.

Thanks for the tip, right now I was just laying out the design of the oil, but it is easily expandable by just adding more going south, in fact all of my oil processing is done this way, i have room for about 10 refineries before running into anything important and that room south extends east for expanding my processing.

I wish the wiki had tips like this in one place and sorted by material.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Well, the recipes are all on the Oil Processing page, and you could figure out the need for more than one if you looked at the ratios between the production and cracking processes, and the fact that petroleum gas is often a bottleneck in other processes with the great need for plastic later.

However, it would be a useful entry on a Tips section of the Oil page, what the exact ratio of cracking to refining is.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Gameplay Help”