Base Layout

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mICHAEL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Base Layout

Post by mICHAEL »

In my current game I've made a mess out of my base,and i have no idea how to go about fixing it. It was adequate for the beginning,but now that I require such things as advanced circuits and science pack 3's I have no idea how to work such things into my layout,as it's all over the place,to name just a few.Would some nice person be able to look at my base and give me some tips on how to go about fixing things,if I provide a copy of my save-game file? I'm also using a custom map that I made for myself,as I got tired of scrounging for resources that were miles away from my base.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Base Layout

Post by Nova »

Just upload your save and we will take a look at it. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved from general
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Chibiabos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chibiabos »

It takes either a lot of practice (and by practice, I mean doing things the wrong way, realizing we've made a mess as things get more complicated, starting over to try to fix what we think caused us to make a mess, realizing we missed things and so starting over again ... rinse, lather, repeat) or an adept academic to read through the results of previous Factorionites whom have experimented and found the optimal starting setups.

ccik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ccik »

Hello,

after having the same issue like you in the past, i now organize my factory right from the beginning to incorporate future expansions. Here is a picture of my new game. Although it is quite early in the game, it shows my concept:

As you can see, there are two lanes with the basic ressources iron and copper running from top to bottom. Every Production line is placed to the outside of these lanes, with the space in between reserverd for intermediate products. This way, i can just expand existing production lines by placing more assemblers next to the already existing ones. If i want to add another production line for a different product, i always have the option to use some of the intermediate products from above. By building my factory this way, every product (except the science parts) only have to be transported top to bottom. I can alway add new production lines to the bottom, and always have the materials nearby. If i wanted to prioritize the production of products, this is also quite easy. The more to the top a assembly line ist, the more raw materials it receives.

The downside of this method is that you need huge space, a lot of belts compared to other designs, and later in the game a lot of faster or double belts. Therefor it is most important to keep enough space beetween the two "main" lanes.

I hope this helps

Chibiabos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chibiabos »

I'm a bit of a cowardly expander myself ... I am terrified of the biter bases, maybe more than I should be. I will tend to expand away from them if I can, toward a sea shore if there is one (assuming no biter bases between myself and the sea shore), and I do all I can to avoid chopping down trees since they eat some of the pollution that will incite them. Doing so unfortunately means I tend to be geographically limited, so I try to make do. I suppose I should admit myself a total coward and only ever play 'peaceful' mode, but ... that seems too cowardly even for me. Unfortunately, this means at least until I am strong enough to wipe out biter bases, I tend to not have unlimited expansion room and am lucky if I have room to chain 8 or 9 factories with no space in between them. :/

Return to “Gameplay Help”