Making a train stop only if it needs fuel?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Making a train stop only if it needs fuel?

Post by JasonC »

Is it possible to make a train stop at a station if it can take on fuel, and skip the station without slowing if it can't?
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Making a train stop only if it needs fuel?

Post by Squelch »

Not in the vanilla game unfortunately. I think there might be a mod that does this however.

Trains will only travel between their scheduled stations as instructed, and only when stopped at stations can the ID, and cargo contents be read. The current fuel reserve is out of reach, so people tend to just have refuelling inserters at scheduled stations to top off.

Personally, I include a "tender" cargo wagon as the first after the loco and have that loaded with reserves of train fuel and other outpost consumables (in reserved slots). The fuel is transferred forward while the main payload is loaded/unloaded, or topped up itself if the outpost has fuel to spare. A small amount is also retained at the station too for any trains that have just travelled a large distance and have no reserve left.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

I don't understand why we don't get electric trains in vanilla.

Miners - electric
Smelters - electric

No we have to carry at least coal around the whole base.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

steinio wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm
I don't understand why we don't get electric trains in vanilla.

Miners - electric
Smelters - electric

No we have to carry at least coal around the whole base.
Nuclear fuel lasts quite long... and makes your train also drive faster and accelerate better. So it is sufficient to have your train load on one of its stations, like central drops or so. Also it makes for an interesting logistics challenge :)

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Yeah my nuclear power plants enrichment section has ramped up enough to produce enough u235 to keep all my trains running, distributing precious nuclear fuel is why I'm asking actually. I'm modifying a poorly evolved train network to run on it and it just so happens most of my trains travel through the same relative location so I was going to put a fuel drop there.

However I ended up creating a fuel train route and having fun with circuit and logistic networks making sure the fuel isn't wasted in storage. All my old remote furnaces and boilers run off rocket fuel now too so it worked out to be a good distribution network.

In my next run I'll design a more interconnected train network from the start and have a dedicated fuel depot. Should've done it from the start but I took a break for 3 years and I'm a little rusty lol. Also I didn't realize nuclear fuel was so awesome until I tested it out in my buggy (incidentally I saw a buggy crash counter mod I should install now lol). Last time I played there wasn't any nuclear anything in the vanilla game. It's a super awesome addition.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

There are some mods that have various versions of automatic refueling

It's usually not really necessary though. Most trains travel to some hub with many train stations. Like the smelters. The area where your personal trains like construction and shuttles are parked. Or some factory where lots of materials are dropped off. You can refuel them there and have trains that in turn supply new fuel to that place.

Return to “Gameplay Help”