Is there a safe way to cross train tracks?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Is there a safe way to cross train tracks?

Post by Peter34 »

I've never gotten to the trains stage myself, but I'm just curious... Is there some item you can build you make crossing the tracks safe? Avoid getting hit by the train? Or is it less dangerous than I'm assuming?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a safe way to cross train tracks?

Post by sillyfly »

If you get hit by a train moving at reasonable speed - it will kill you. Even with power armor, you need at least a few energy shield to survive a train hit.
As for avoiding it - the best way is probably to cross near signals - a signal will turn yellow when a train is about to drive through it, so if you avoid crossing the tracks when the signal is yellow you should be safe.

This thread - https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=7717 has some ideas and discussion about other ways that could be introduced to help with this issue (which is not necessarily a problem!).

Edit: Looking back at that thread, I see another suggestion - gates over the rails. Should work about the same as signals, I think, but perhaps with different distance and visibility.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

It very safe if you have a huge armor actually. If a train hit you, it cause only damage to your armor that recharge over time. Bentham (Mangledpork youtuber) experience it almost in every of his episodes ahah :)
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

A suit of power armor with multiple shields can usually protect you. But before that, your a dead man if get hit by one. :lol:
Personally I usually manage to avoid it just by zooming all the way out when I am about to cross and see if a train is coming nearby. That almost always keeps me from getting hit. Not always though... Haha
Image Image Image

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The safest way is : remove rail, cross in the gap, set the rail back. 8-)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

Quickly :mrgreen:

Return to “Gameplay Help”