Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by Airat9000 »

bug (((
Attachments
2017-05-03_20-49-17.jpg
2017-05-03_20-49-17.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 7316 times

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Airat9000 wrote:bug (((
You have the latest, 0.6.4 version?

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

nagapito wrote:
Airat9000 wrote:bug (((
You have the latest, 0.6.4 version?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zyrconia wrote:
Light wrote: Annoying? Not at all.
Are you sure it is not annoying?

Infinite patches are small and not very significant until you have a ton of them. Having trickle from 1-2 infinite patches is nothing compared to setting up a new outpost to mine somewhere.

That's why I view infinite ores as a late game small reward, a way to no longer have to bother with some ores you need less off. Once you have 5+ trains bringing in only infinite ore and you gather them in one place, maybe you can fill up a blue line. Probably not. But it still helps.

So it is a small reward in the form of: you don't need to bother setting up so many new mining outposts.

Making that more complicated with having to deliver some acid via train to 5+ remote outposts with RSO is for me the very definition of annoying... :)

That's just my opinion though. Mining should not be complicated and should not be made "interesting" because it can't be made interesting. What happens with the ore once it is out of the ground is interesting. You simply can't make it too involved because you need a ton of repetitive tasks to set up mining and you can't beacon it to get around it.
When I test something, I'm very thorough. I tested a dozen patches and had them running for several hours to see if any issue cropped up. Nothing.

It only took an additional 1-2 minutes to set up some pipes, a storage tank, and a train schedule to transfer fluids every now and then. But acid demand was very low so it only needed to appear every hour or so.
Zyrconia wrote:Infinite patches are small and not very significant until you have a ton of them. Having trickle from 1-2 infinite patches is nothing compared to setting up a new outpost to mine somewhere.

That's why I view infinite ores as a late game small reward, a way to no longer have to bother with some ores you need less off. Once you have 5+ trains bringing in only infinite ore and you gather them in one place, maybe you can fill up a blue line. Probably not. But it still helps.

So it is a small reward in the form of: you don't need to bother setting up so many new mining outposts.
This depends on the users settings. I personally configure RSO to have infinite ore patches be so tiny that there's little gain from them... until Mk5 anyhow. By default they're rather sizable and can take up half a field by itself. This meant there was no need for another outpost if you're running a couple Mk5 drills in there. Many don't modify these settings so they get it very easy. One could say it's cheating since it's unlimited ores at no cost whatsoever, which is hard to argue with.
Zyrconia wrote:Making that more complicated with having to deliver some acid via train to 5+ remote outposts with RSO is for me the very definition of annoying... :)

That's just my opinion though. Mining should not be complicated and should not be made "interesting" because it can't be made interesting. What happens with the ore once it is out of the ground is interesting. You simply can't make it too involved because you need a ton of repetitive tasks to set up mining and you can't beacon it to get around it.
Except there was no complication at all. 1-2 minutes to set up and prepare a couple fluid miners is nothing compared to the headache of mixed miners and sorting the ores apart from each other. Which with RSO wasn't any issue, but even non-RSO wasn't any complication either, as testing mixed patches just meant offsetting the miners by one so they get the correct fluid, then the actual headache of sorting the ores to their proper destination.

Don't forget that fluid wagons can transport 3 fluids as well. So again mixed ores aren't really a problem for fluid as much as sorting.

Here's the field from earlier which has 4 infinite ore patches of various size, which has been running for a few hours alongside the other dozen ore patches. This one took a grand total of 5 minutes to prepare, but will feed my refinery with crotinium forever.

igiforenzik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by igiforenzik »

I seem to have managed to forget or misplace an option. In 0.14 there were infinite patches in the middle of normal ore with RSO.
Now in 0.15 I seem to get only infinite ore. Did I miss something, and can I go back to how it was before?
EDiT: Or did I make a mistake and non infinite ores also have a % yield instead of count now?

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

I think the conversion ratios for iron > steel ingots are off. By default bob's normal steel recipe yields one steel plate for every two iron plates, but advanced iron smelting yields 6 steel ingots for every 24 iron ingots, making it a vastly inferior conversion.

Wildejackson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wildejackson »

CitizenJoe wrote:I think the conversion ratios for iron > steel ingots are off. By default bob's normal steel recipe yields one steel plate for every two iron plates, but advanced iron smelting yields 6 steel ingots for every 24 iron ingots, making it a vastly inferior conversion.
Yes but consider that ingots are not equivalent to plates. You can boost the production of steel using alloys, which you cannot do with plates. Sure the most basic recipe is somewhat redundant, but its good when you're using mods such as marathon and steel costs 5 iron plates. You can also make steel sheets, which significantly improve throughput.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

igiforenzik wrote:I seem to have managed to forget or misplace an option. In 0.14 there were infinite patches in the middle of normal ore with RSO.
Now in 0.15 I seem to get only infinite ore. Did I miss something, and can I go back to how it was before?
EDiT: Or did I make a mistake and non infinite ores also have a % yield instead of count now?
It looks like something didn't work as intended - are you sure RSO is enabled and you have no trigger mods?
I was just testing it and with only RSO and infinite ores I seemed to get infinite patches inside normal ones properly.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Wildejackson wrote:
CitizenJoe wrote:I think the conversion ratios for iron > steel ingots are off. By default bob's normal steel recipe yields one steel plate for every two iron plates, but advanced iron smelting yields 6 steel ingots for every 24 iron ingots, making it a vastly inferior conversion.
Yes but consider that ingots are not equivalent to plates. You can boost the production of steel using alloys, which you cannot do with plates. Sure the most basic recipe is somewhat redundant, but its good when you're using mods such as marathon and steel costs 5 iron plates. You can also make steel sheets, which significantly improve throughput.
Or disabling cheap steel from bobs....

Polymorph
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Polymorph »

I'm not sure if this is entirely the right place to put this, but the infinite ores are shiny and I love them <3

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Polymorph wrote:I'm not sure if this is entirely the right place to put this, but the infinite ores are shiny and I love them <3
Now... try to have a big patch of them instead of the small ones in the middle of normal ores that RSO does...

You endup with a huge patch that is always 'vibrating' and it can be a little annoying...

http://imgur.com/a/gjz7E

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

nagapito wrote:
Polymorph wrote:I'm not sure if this is entirely the right place to put this, but the infinite ores are shiny and I love them <3
Now... try to have a big patch of them instead of the small ones in the middle of normal ores that RSO does...

You endup with a huge patch that is always 'vibrating' and it can be a little annoying...

http://imgur.com/a/gjz7E
annoying? that looks badass imo

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Light wrote: ...snip...
Fair enough...

We'll see what happens once the mods are stable, but I guess I can try acid miners too.

And naturally, I was talking about "balanced" settings and not "cheaty" ones. It is very easy to configure your map in such a way that you'll never eve have ore issues.

igiforenzik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by igiforenzik »

orzelek wrote: It looks like something didn't work as intended - are you sure RSO is enabled and you have no trigger mods?
I was just testing it and with only RSO and infinite ores I seemed to get infinite patches inside normal ones properly.
I did misplace an option. bobsores had a make all ores infinite option which i completely overlooked. :oops:

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:( my mod dead
Attachments
2017-05-04_14-00-01.jpg
2017-05-04_14-00-01.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 7090 times

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Airat9000 wrote::( my mod dead
You are assigning a 128x128 image but reporting on the icon_size the value 64

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zyrconia wrote:
Light wrote: ...snip...
Fair enough...

We'll see what happens once the mods are stable, but I guess I can try acid miners too.
If it were annoying in any way, believe me when I say I'd let you know. Sometimes suggestions come up for things that serve no purpose other than because they can, then after testing I'll show that sometimes it's not as simple as they make it seem.

I too was surprised how little impact fluid miners had on an infinite ore patch, and giving infinite ores some form of drawback for balance is appealing compared to just having it there "just because". Which was my original argument for entire ores since it does throw off balance a great deal, while infinite ores doesn't.

I'm sure Angel will include a toggle to turn it off for those who are really bothered by it somehow, given how great the mod options panel is for on the fly changes.

Anton Gorodetsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Anton Gorodetsky »

I'm getting a very similar error:

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Anton Gorodetsky wrote:I'm getting a very similar error:

mod list? I fixed that one for petrochem in the initial update.

Anton Gorodetsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Anton Gorodetsky »

Return to “Angels Mods”