Use of paper without Bob's Electronics?

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

jrisom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Use of paper without Bob's Electronics?

Post by jrisom »

I've installed the whole set of Angel's mods, and after progressing through the game a bit I tried to figure out what paper was used for. Many things have multiple creation points and uses. It appears that paper and maybe other items are just useless without a new set of mods. It's still can be made but it can't do anything. Is this just an oversight or does everyone just play with Angel's and Bob's together?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Use of paper without Bob's Electronics?

Post by valneq »

This depends a lot on settings. I assume you play Factorio 0.18 with only Angel's mods and none of its overhaul settings. Am I right?
Are any of "Industry overhaul", "Technology overhaul", "component mode" active?
Without any of them, I was able to reproduce this observation. So, yes: there is no use for paper with these settings.
I have not tried all combinations, though.

Nonetheless, cellulose pulp is used in garden cultivation which lets you consume plant life samples from any garden to generate any other kind of garden (with low chance). Gardens are required to kickstart farming.

Since both paper and cellulose pulp are unlocked by the tech "paper making", it might actually be weird to remove the "paper" from that technology.
I believe there are more intermediate materias you can create that have no use. Unfortunately, with the large amounts of settings and mod compatibilities, it is not always easy for the mod devs to keep everything 100% coherent and consistent.

Every now and then, there are items you can craft that have literally zero use. This is by far not the first instance. In order to prevent you from accidentally making useless items, you can check item usage in mods like "FNEI" or "What Is It Reallly Used For", which always respect your currently loaded mods.

Whether or not this case of a useless recipe is subject to change is for the devs to decide. Just be aware there might be more coming up in your playthrough. If you are aware of more of these useless items, maybe report them too (with mod settings in use), so the devs can take another look.

jrisom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jrisom »

It's only the Angel's mods. I was hoping to avoid potential bugs that could occur when three independent developers are updating separately, but still add a whole new game. Almost every modded game play I see seems to always be Bob's and Angel's so I'll try that combo.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

jrisom wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:06 pm
It's only the Angel's mods. I was hoping to avoid potential bugs that could occur when three independent developers are updating separately, but still add a whole new game. Almost every modded game play I see seems to always be Bob's and Angel's so I'll try that combo.
This is not a game breaking bug. You just have remnants in your game that are kind of useless. A proper "fix" would be to remove recipes for paper, but keep the ones for cellulose pulp. You can play Angel's mods without Bob's just fine. Just try not to craft too many useless items as they will just fill boxes. I hope this issue will be addressed by the devs soon.

[edit:]
This is now an issue on github: https://github.com/Arch666Angel/mods/issues/359
[/edit]

You are right: not many people play Angel's without overhaul and without Bob's mods. This is why there is not much testing with these settings, so getting feedback like this is very important to the devs of Angel's mods.

Return to “Angels Mods”