[MOD 1.1.x] Maps

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 1.1.x] Maps

Post by Pi-C »

This small mod has been around for a while, but I've recently extended it.
  • Base mode
    In the base mode, there is a chance that you find a map when you kill trees. (You must kill the trees, mining them does not qualify! Likewise, using poison won't work.) If you walk over the map, a certain area will be charted for your force.

There are small, medium, and big maps, which will reveal a small, a medium-sized, or a huge area. Being made of paper, maps are susceptible for damage from fire and explosions. Small and medium maps will be burned completely, big maps will take damage, but fragments may survive.
  • "I speak for the trees" mode
    Do you think that it's boring that killing trees will always be rewarded? Then this optional feature (inspired by the I speak for the trees! mod) is for you! If you kill a tree that leaves no map behind, there is a chance that an enemy will be spawned instead. Biters, spitters, or other critters will live in healthy trees, while trees in their last stage will shelter worms. Of course, modded enemies will be spawned as well as vanilla ones. (EDIT: Some mods' entities are ignored per default. Modders can use the remote interface to add their entities to the ignore list.) The maximum size of spawned biters, spitters etc. depends on the pollution in the chunk, the maximum size of worms depends on the evolution value.
  • Constant surveillance aka "Big Brother" mode
    When you've picked up medium-sized or big maps, there's a good chance that small maps in the vicinity won't reveal anything new. So, small maps are useless? Not at all! When you pick up a small map in a completely charted area, there is a chance that you may get permanent free radar coverage of the chunk where you've found the map! Only one force may have constant surveillance of a particular chunk, so in multiplayer games it's a good idea to hurry and pick up maps before your adversaries do.

Optionally, chunks under constant surveillance can be associated with the player who picked up the small map, not the force of that player. In multiplayer games, if a player joins another force, constant surveillance of all chunks associated with that player will be transferred from the old to the new force. Thus, you shouldn't rely on other players collecting maps for your force, but pick up as many maps as you can yourself! If a player is permanently removed from the game, all chunks associated with that player will be inherited by the last force the player belonged to.
I hope you've some fun with this! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Mods”