[MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.3.7 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Topics and discussion about specific mods
chlue
Inserter
Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.11+] Misanthrope 0.0.4 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by chlue »

Hello,
I really appreciate some more interesting biter mechanics, but I am really not a big fan of seeing them favor line power poles and rail lines given that this can basically only be countered by manually taking care of rebuilding and makes the usual foolproof stragety "clean a big area and wall yourself completely in" even more desireable.

I wonder if the modding api allows to script some kind of 'migratory movement' behavior. Basically cyclically a compatible huge amount of enemies would spawn at a random base and then try to move in a rather direct way to another quiet far away enemy base. Once they reach their target they are removed from the game (hide underground or whatever). This would actually mean that a player that has walled in a huge base will often encounter huge unnecessary attacks while small outputs connected by train-lines would be hardly affected by this. This could encourage a completely different play style. What do you think?

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.11+] Misanthrope 0.0.4 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

chlue wrote:Hello,
I really appreciate some more interesting biter mechanics, but I am really not a big fan of seeing them favor line power poles and rail lines given that this can basically only be countered by manually taking care of rebuilding and makes the usual foolproof stragety "clean a big area and wall yourself completely in" even more desireable.

I wonder if the modding api allows to script some kind of 'migratory movement' behavior. Basically cyclically a compatible huge amount of enemies would spawn at a random base and then try to move in a rather direct way to another quiet far away enemy base. Once they reach their target they are removed from the game (hide underground or whatever). This would actually mean that a player that has walled in a huge base will often encounter huge unnecessary attacks while small outputs connected by train-lines would be hardly affected by this. This could encourage a completely different play style. What do you think?
I definitely understand your concerns. I am not out to make Factorio a 'castle simulator' where the player has to wall themselves away from the world. I think the core problem, as I have mentioned before, is that the player has very limited tools to manage biters, which results in awkward solutions, which you point out.

I don't think this is a fault of the biter AI, but rather the limited options players have, and will be working on fixing that. Turrets and walls should not be the solution to all biter problems.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.11+] Misanthrope 0.0.5 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Misanthrope 0.0.5 released
changelog

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.1.0 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Misanthrope 0.1.0 released. Inching towards a full release!

Misanthrope 0.1.0 provides the player with a new tool to fend off biters. I am considering also creating a modular armor miniaturized version of the HARPA emitter, so players can carry around a biter deterrent.

New Game Content
  • Alien Defense Tech (Requires Military III and Turrets)
  • HARPA Emitter (Requires Alien Defense)
    • Causes biters to flee from the emitter in a 60x60 area around itself
    • Slowly damages biters inside the area of effect
    • Slowly damages worms inside the area of effect
    • Slowly damages biter and spitter spawners inside the area of effect
    • Has no effect on behemoth or stronger tiers of biters.

DartBoris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.1.2 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by DartBoris »

Getting crash when trying to cut any tree.
Factorio 12.20 x32
Only mods active - base evogui and misanthrope 0.1.2
main.log

Foxy_Boxes
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Foxy_Boxes »

I never got why the enemy attacks rails anyway in vanilla. Pollution producing buildings, moving stuff like belts and trains, sure. But inert lumps of metal just lying on the ground?

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

I get this error:
Error while running the event handler: __Misanthrope__/libs/EvoGUI.lua:61: Unknown interface: EvoGUI

Newest version of game and mod used. No other mods installed. Appears with old saves and new generated maps.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.1.4 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

ps666 wrote:I get this error:
Error while running the event handler: __Misanthrope__/libs/EvoGUI.lua:61: Unknown interface: EvoGUI

Newest version of game and mod used. No other mods installed. Appears with old saves and new generated maps.
Thanks for the report. This issue has been fixed in Misanthrope 0.1.4
DartBoris wrote:Getting crash when trying to cut any tree.
Factorio 12.20 x32
Only mods active - base evogui and misanthrope 0.1.2
main.log
Thanks for the report! This issue has been fixed in Misanthrope 0.1.4. :D

Losswen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.1.5 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Losswen »

Hey there!

Me and my buddy may have found a desync error rooted in your mod while playing multiplayer. We've saved the relevant crash logs, and a save file to send you if you think that's needed, just let me know where I should send them (or if I should send them via forums) if you need them, and we'll happily help with that!

Side info;

The game would work fine if we started fresh, but no matter what, neither of us would be able to connect to the other's game without desyncing within 10 seconds or so if we had taken a break and quit/loaded the file.

We tested each mod individually, and the only mod we could play that file without desync on was your mod.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.1.5 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Losswen wrote:Hey there!

Me and my buddy may have found a desync error rooted in your mod while playing multiplayer. We've saved the relevant crash logs, and a save file to send you if you think that's needed, just let me know where I should send them (or if I should send them via forums) if you need them, and we'll happily help with that!

Side info;

The game would work fine if we started fresh, but no matter what, neither of us would be able to connect to the other's game without desyncing within 10 seconds or so if we had taken a break and quit/loaded the file.

We tested each mod individually, and the only mod we could play that file without desync on was your mod.
Interesting. I haven't tried the mod in MP, so I will do some testing and attempt to fix that.

Edit: I am pretty sure I know why it de-syncs. I am working on a fix.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.1.6 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Misanthrope Release:

Version 0.1.6:
  • Bugfix: Hopefully fixed all MP desync issues
  • Performance: More aggressive caching, less calculations.
Things to-do before a 1.0 release:
  • Add a few more Alien Defense techs & items. I want to add a HARPA power armour module.
  • Add an Alien Offense tech & bio-toxin power armour module to kill trees / biters near player
  • Verify MP is working perfectly

powerafro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by powerafro »

With the Factorio Version 12.22 i had after about 10 hours of playing time this error:

Error while running the event handler: __Misanthrope__/libs/region.lua:204: attempt to index local 'regionCoords' (a nil value)

Version of Misanthrope is 0.1.6

greetings powerafro!
Attachments
Error
Error
Error.jpg (131.96 KiB) Viewed 9175 times

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Thanks @powerafro, the issue should hopefully be fixed in the new Misanthrope 0.2.0!

powerafro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.2.0 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by powerafro »

When I update to 0.2.0, i had after 2 seconds a new error!
Attachments
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (506.48 KiB) Viewed 9150 times

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.2.1 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Thanks @powerafro. So that should be fixed in 0.2.1! Basically, it was the same issue as you had previously. I fixed the bug in one spot, and your new error was the same issue popping up in a new section of the code. However, this time, I was able to identify what caused it in the first place. It occurs when you have very few regions or no regions with enemy biter spawners... Anyway, should be fixed now.

powerafro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by powerafro »

Thanks for the fast bugfixing :) :)

It works until yet very fine :D No Errors !!!!

greetz powerafro!

Ackos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ackos »

Error, on new map start up. V0.2.1

Misantrope/libs/biter_expansion.lua.124:attempt to get length of field 'harpa_list' (a nil value)

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Ackos wrote:Error, on new map start up. V0.2.1

Misantrope/libs/biter_expansion.lua.124:attempt to get length of field 'harpa_list' (a nil value)
Thanks for the report, fixed in 0.2.2. ;)

toaran
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.2.2 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by toaran »

HI Afforess

i just found a bug when you die...
death_crash.png
death_crash.png (2.82 MiB) Viewed 8608 times
When i died from some lovely Biters the server crashed and i got this message onscreen... the only way to get around it was to remove the Misanthrope mod save and reload the savegame.. or use an older autosave...

you have my server files to reproduce it if necessary ;)
i switched back to the current normal version 0.2.2

toaran

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.2.2 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

toaran wrote:HI Afforess

i just found a bug when you die...
death_crash.png
When i died from some lovely Biters the server crashed and i got this message onscreen... the only way to get around it was to remove the Misanthrope mod save and reload the savegame.. or use an older autosave...

you have my server files to reproduce it if necessary ;)
i switched back to the current normal version 0.2.2

toaran
Fascinating. Looks like when you die, you don't have an inventory but the player still "exists". I will have to add extra checks for that.

Return to “Mods”