Topics and discussion about specific mods
Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.14+]DroneHome_0.2.3 (28.08.2016)

Post by Adil »

Type: Mod
Name: DroneHome
Description: Adds drone landing pad where dying drones can land.
License: Custom
Version: 0.2.3
Release: 2016-04-08
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.30, 0.14.1
Category: Gameplay
Tags: Combat-robots, recycle, dependency-hell
Download-Url: Attached
Dependencies:
Optional dependencies: WrenchFu

The second chapter of my magnum modus (first one was encapsulation). The project is taking time so I wanted to get a little feel of completion by releasing another self-sufficient part of the project.
License
Long description
Dependencies
Future
Version history
Get involved
Attachments
DroneHome_0.2.3.zip
(47.72 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
DroneHome_0.2.2.zip
(47.71 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
DroneHome_0.2.1.zip
(47.69 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
DroneHome_0.2.0.zip
(47.67 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
DroneHome_0.1.0.zip
(46.77 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by Adil on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:26 am, edited 10 times in total.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+]DroneHome_0.1.0 (06.04.2016)

Post by Koub »

If it's impossible to tell how a drone dies, how do you differenciate those that are killed of those that expire in the current version of your mod ?

My two cents : a power armor module wouldn't be that overpowered : you can balance it by making it more or less big (and consume more or less power) : how much space - otherwise devoted to shields, batteries, exoskelettons, and fusion reactors - do you think people should sacrifice in order to be able to recover used combat drones ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Koub wrote:If it's impossible to tell how a drone dies, how do you differenciate those that are killed of those that expire in the current version of your mod ?
Currently I don't, I guess I we gone too evasively about that in the op. I consider it plausible that a drone dying of either old age or structural damage still might have enough reserves to perform a final leap to an installation specifically designed to cushion such drops. The range isn't much bigger than capsule throw distance so that mainly accounts for player returning home and maybe defensive fights. I think that's reasonable. Of course, this is prone to same creep techniques as turrets but that's how the game is.

When performing assault though I feel getting back every drone you've deliberately put under fire might take away too much of the fighting cost. After all, you can just jump into a tank and not care about your power armor being stuffed with cushions and then just keep throwing hundreds of capsules to provide worms targets that are not you. In vanilla that would cost you, well, hundreds of capsules and might give incentive to search for other ways of dealing with threat. With this mod this would cost you probably a quarter of that.

Anyways, such combat is not my focus for now, so it'll probably will be done if there's interest in that.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Interesting mod! I'm looking forward to trying it out, and probably doing a Mod Spotlight on it. I think it's a cool idea to be able to like refurbish the robots if you want.
I do think I found a bug though. After placing the landing pad, once you pull it up it turns into a Smart Chest rather than going into your inventory as the Landing Pad. So essentially you lose it each time after you place it and pick it up.

Also, would it be possible to have it display range like the capsules do when you go to throw them?
Image Image Image

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Xterminator wrote:once you pull it up it turns into a Smart Chest
Whoops. :oops:
Xterminator wrote:Also, would it be possible to have it display range like the capsules do when you go to throw them?
Okay, now the landing range depiction feature has crept in. It is not shown when you throw capsules though.
I didn't want to clutter the game needlessly with dummy items, so to provide this functionality mod requires optional dependency on WrenchFu now since that would make appearance in the next mod in this series anyway.

On account of this feature I proclaim the next release 0.2.0.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+]DroneHome_0.2.2 (16.04.2016)

Post by Darloth »

Now all we need is a turret that fires drone capsules...

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+]DroneHome_0.2.2 (16.04.2016)

Post by Adil »

It's coming, slowly, but coming.
There's also that combat units mod by klonan, which adds turret which fires units.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14+]DroneHome_0.2.3 (28.08.2016)

Post by Adil »

0.14.1 is here

Return to “Mods”