Attempt at making a mod

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Guedez
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Attempt at making a mod

Post by Guedez »

So... the robots and roboport sounds were bothering me, that made me replace them with something that i'd rather listen to 24/7 than the original.
I just replaced the sound files in the base/sounds folder, but then I realised I could have made it as a mod instead.

However I couldn't do it, I managed to make it work for me so that's fine, I'd rather spend time and dedication making my factory than making this mod work.

Anyways, here is my sad attempt at making it a mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5c2ur ... iichan.zip
If anyone want to fix/expand/make it actually work, feel free to take full credit too if you want to

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Attempt at making a mod

Post by n9103 »

Well, it would've made a good trolling, but leaving the folder named oniichan is a bit of a tip-off that things are not what they appear. :p
I'll give it a look over and see if a fix comes to mind though. Can't say I've ever worked on a sound mod, so this should be a learning process for me :)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

I have taken a look at it and the only thing in that zip is the info.json and the sound files. You don't have a file actually changing the sounds.
The reason they work for you is because you replaced the original ones with these, so the file that requires those original sound files won't know the difference. But with a mod you do not overwrite the originals. So you have to tell the game to use these instead of the originals.
Check out my mods

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from mods
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

As cartmen said, you didn't package these up as a mod, just loose files.

I went ahead and built some of the framework up, but apparently I'm missing something.
Got the roboport sound replaced, but for some reason, the bots themselves won't take the change.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbzrmou9ypz62 ... 0.zip?dl=0
Loads fine from a directory at least, didn't test the zip.

If someone else would check and see what I'm missing, that would be good to know.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

You have specified a function for the sounds, but it doesn't overwrites the function in the base file. (it doesn't extend the base data like the roboport does, so its only used locally. But there is nothing in your file using that function)
So my guess is that you also need to include the entities for the robots as you have done for the roboport.
Check out my mods

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Hmm... I was trying to avoid overwriting as much of the data as I could, allowing compatibility with other mods, even the Overhaul ones like DyTech.
Thanks for the pointer.

Got this fully working, for what it's worth.
The way the sound effects work in Factorio is kind of disruptive to this, but I'm not really sure how to work around it.
It has a concurrent sound effects limit (to help in not overwhelming the player,) but instead of limiting the start of new sounds, it simply cuts off the oldest sound of it's type.
With any sound that is based on speech, this gets messy quick, since you need the whole clip for it to sound right.
I've increased the limit on concurrent sounds, but any area of dense robot traffic still ends up with clipped sounds.
Also, the sound files could use a leveling, if anyone has audio editing experience? (I think it's called leveling when you bring different files to the same overall volume level.)

Same download location as before: (verified that will load as a zip, no need to extract)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbzrmou9ypz62 ... 0.zip?dl=0

Now pardon me while I go take a shower to wash off this shame. :cry: :P

Return to “Mods”