Marathon Green Circuits w/beacons

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Ciraeon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Marathon Green Circuits w/beacons

Post by Ciraeon »

Good evening all,

This is my first time posting here, so please forgive if I've done it in the incorrect place or in an incorrect format.

I've been playing for a while, but after I switched to marathon in the 0.15 update, I haven't seen a blueprint for a late game, beaconed green circuit setup. So, I took it upon myself to fiddle a bit. This is the closest that I've come to getting it to work. It isn't perfect, there are still blips and lags in production, but it's as close as I can manage. I did have to make it bot assisted, as the sheer volume of items being churned by the circuit assemblers themselves was prohibitive.

Benchmarks put total output at 1.7k/min circuits, using 2.5k/min iron and 4.4k/m copper. Power usage was around 45MW.

Blueprint, inputs marked with filters

Please improve on the design if you can figure out how to overcome some of its shortcomings, in the meantime I hope it's helpful.

EDIT 5/08/12 - Spoiler for blueprint wasn't working, changed to GDoc link.
Attachments
Green Circuits.png
Green Circuits.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 5906 times

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Marathon Green Circuits w/beacons

Post by vanatteveldt »

Yes! Time for the end-game green circuit game :) My factory is almost there, just started module production, but can't harm to have some fun in creative mode already!

I took the opposite approach to you, using normal insertion for the cable and bots for input/output, which should be about half the total amount of resources to carry but of course over greater distances.

First approach with close to ideal ratio: (2:7 where ideal is 1:3.6)
2 on 7
As you can see, the stack inserters just can't move the sheer amount of cable, which causes output to be a bit lower than maximum (1.6k out of 1.812k per minute):

I figured a 1:4 design might manage to saturate the green circuit plant, which it almost does, reaching 910/minute compared to a theoretical max of 923/minute:
1 on 4
So we can compare throughput / module (assuming infinite tileability, so 8 modules per plant in a normal setup)

2:7 gives 1600 / 9= 178 cpm/plant = 22.25 cpm/module
1:4 gives 912 / 5 = 182 cpm/plant = 22.75 cpm/module

So unless the cable throughput can be improved the 1:4 solution is slightly better but that could well be rounding error as the 1.6k is approximate (output is ~133/5s=1596/m so pretty close)

Edit:the wiki says a fully upgraded stack inserter can move 766 items per minute, but obviously I output 912 items per minute into the provider chest... is the wiki outdated? Never mind, that figure is from a belt, container to container should be 1663/s.

Edit: I tested out two 1:2 designs, one with extra beacons in between the plants and one without. The extra beacons get 635/m output for 32 modules, without it is 517 for 24. Computing output/module:

1:2 boosted gives 635 / 32 = 19.8 cpm/module
1:2 normal gives 517 / 24 = 21.5 cpm/module

So it seems that a very simple 1:2 design is actually quite competitive with a 1:4 or 2:7 design
1 on 2
blueprint for 1 on 2
I think I actually prefer the simplicity of the latter design. It seems to require about 30 bots per green plant, depending on distance of course.

You could also replace the copper input by a belt since the new blue belt will span underneath the whole setup. However, a full blue belt of copper will only supply two of these setups, and one stack inserter cannot grab enough copper/s from a belt, so that's probably a bad idea :)

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

My marathon base is designed around minimizing the # of machine interactions, with a particular emphasis on the ore-to-circuit production chain due to how resource intensive circuits are.

I'm stamping around copies of this build at sites with nearby iron and copper mines - it makes one blue belt of green circuits and it's served me well for almost 100m green circuits in my save. It requires more complicated balancing nonsense if you want to compress the output onto a single belt but since I'm putting it straight onto a train, I don't bother.

Blueprint String

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Edit: Thanks to a conversation in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=54208&p=319250#p319250) I just realized the problem was never inserting enough cable into the circuit plant, the problem is extracting enough cable from each cable plant: a circuit plant needs 110 cable/sec which can be provided by 4 stack inserters. Each cable plant, however, supplies 1/3.5 of the cables, and 110/3.5 > 27.7. So, each plant need to have more than one inserter extracting from the plant. A good solution seems to be to add an extra blue inserter for the two plants between the shared plant and the circuit plants, allowing these 3 cable plants to run at full capacity (producing 3*2*2*5.5*1.4=92 cable/sec. The other 4 plants are still extraction limited, so total cable production is 92+4*27.7=203/s, which should allow for total circuit production of 203 / 10 * 1.4 * 5=142 cable per 5 sec (1.7k/min), which matches observed values:
screenshots
This brings throughput/module at 1700 / (7*8) =23.6, which I guess might tip the scales for the 7:2 solution rather than the 2:1 solution...

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”