Trying some compact stuff

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Trying some compact stuff

Post by lyravega »

Hello everyone. My first post. Discovered this game on Das24680's channel on youtube. Then tried the demo. Then bought the game. Now my eyes are all turned red, because I can't stop playing.

Not an optimal setup. Heavily depends on the input - since I cannot place any more mines nearby, I cannot increase the input (copper & iron plates, 4 copper mines and 6 iron mines are running - not that much of a production anyway). The rocket & adv. circuit loops are 100% efficient as long as they have inputs. Smart inserter has some problems with circuits. I had to made everything (most stuff) symmetrical - don't ask :P

Tip: Open image in new tab.
new one
old one with alt
old one
Last edited by lyravega on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:23 am, edited 7 times in total.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Trying some compact stuff

Post by Nova »

It would be nice if you can press alt and make an additional screenshot. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Sorry, doing it now :)

edit: updated the original image.

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Done. Replaced the original image.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The layout looks ok. The balance is not ideal. You need 1 smart inserter production (done) and 2-3 rockets (1) an 1-2 advanced circuits (1) and steel is a own theme, but one 1-2 only for research is normally more than enough. One wheel production is in most cases enough. 4-6 circuits. The upper left copper wire assembly is unused. But for the first try very well. Nice design.

Items on ground don't disappear. Only destroyed entities or dead natives.

Especially for the electric circuit: planing in some storage, because I never reach to store some circuits until I reach logistic bots. But when I reached it, then suddenly I have free production capacity and then storing this circuits for later is a good idea.
In general it is also a good idea to have small buffers. You know you can build buffers also with belts.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

I was feeding the upper left manually for now, felt too lazy to move the lane up there :)

About gear, yeah you are right, one is more than enough. I wanted to feed the assemblers directly, and have problem with symmetry, that's why there are two gear assemblers :) Wire production is OK, but circuitry production bottlenecks smart inserters since one is trying to feed both smart and fast inserters. I'll start from stratch for right side, but left side seems alright. I'll try to copy right side to left, use that gear assembler for inserters, and use the spare one for an extra circuitry probably. First, I'm going to let this run till I research the electric station thingy though ^_^

And thanks!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Balanced layoust for blue-potion pre-production are difficult.

I made something, I call it "Blue Circle" and your layout reminds me strongly on that! Looks so:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 913#p11913

Notes: I wrote it already in that article, but remove the unneeded stuff (logistic bots, solar etc.) from the circle and make it a little bit smaller, then you have a very good balanced working blue-potion pre-production. I made that now 8 times or so and in the last try I think it works really nice. I made a second circle, which then creates the other stuff like robots and so on, the outer side is copper and steel like in the Blue Circle and the inner is el. circuits and steel. With that I can produce lasers, bots, solar, accu and after that I switch the whole process to completely logistic-robots based, no belts anymore, only logistic chests.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Ah, I wish I had robots and stuff. That'd allow me to get rid of some unnecessary stuff. I just researched electric substations, trying to tidy up the structure. Then I'll move left side to right. But I have a serious symmetry problem unfortunately. When I research logistics robots and the rest, I think I'll go over the design again :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Was going to refer you to the Super compact Blue factory, but a) production isn't necessarily full-time; Haven't seen it in motion, so can't say for certain. And b) The image of it has died. Guess it wasn't getting enough forum love.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

n9103 wrote:Was going to refer you to the Super compact Blue factory, but a) production isn't necessarily full-time; Haven't seen it in motion, so can't say for certain. And b) The image of it has died. Guess it wasn't getting enough forum love.
Yeah, saw that topic but image was dead. I changed all (most) of my contraption, and just waiting on some modules to finish before I start testing it ^_^

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

yea, unless rymn/kwiz are still around, it's gone gone. not even google can find the file.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

n9103 wrote:yea, unless rymn/kwiz are still around, it's gone gone. not even google can find the file.
Shame =/ I think you can make some logic based stuff by checking stuff in the smart chests. Was he using such a thing?

Also, added a new screenshot. New layout, looks prettier, and has some defenses. Need more input though, guess I'll need to build some railroad networks to mine stuff that are far away.

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

This is my (unoptimized) production of Science Packs 1+2;
1+2
And this my Science Pack 3 production which is working really well:

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

lyravega wrote:Shame =/ I think you can make some logic based stuff by checking stuff in the smart chests. Was he using such a thing?
No, just some really nice organizing. The point of that one was the smallest possible, (without using bots, as that's rather cheaty for comparing sizes,) and I don't think using logic networks would help in anyway for minimum size layouts.

Aha! Turns out there were still live images on the 2nd+ pages of the thread.
Not the smallest size they cranked down to, but youtube rarely, if ever, deletes for old age: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VDnr4x_ajk
And here's a post with one of the smaller designs, still alive on the 5th page: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... t=40#p7557
Sadly, I can't recall just how small OP's design was, but 13x15 sounds pretty close.

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Doesn't that layout choke on circuits? I mean 2 copper wire can barely sustain adv. circuit + circuit. On top of that, rockets, and all inserters require more circuitry.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Compact layouts generally aren't comparable to optimized layouts. Two rather different goals.
To be clear, you're making a point about an optimizing goal.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”