Balancing output from 6 boxes (3 per lane)

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Balancing output from 6 boxes (3 per lane)

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

I've been trying to figure out how to get the same output from all 6 boxes when placing onto a fully condensed blue belt using stack inserters. While it's not completely necessary, my current setup reduces my trian car unload time by 20-30% because the middle two boxes are not unloaded as fast. Has anyone come up with a way to balancer the unload rate between the 6 boxes while keeping a blue belt filled?

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Balancing output from 6 boxes (3 per lane)

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

After an hour's worth of experimentation, I find no answer. Naturally, I come up with the solution mere seconds after posting. Blueprint string (using wooden boxes) in spoiler.

In essence, put belts in front of each inserter, then join the 2 sets of 3 boxes together via splitters. Then join the last two via belt merging (where each input places onto one lane). Finally, control each inserter via an average function (take the total of 1 set of 3 boxes, divide by -3, then add the number left in the box to the inserter. If >= 1, turn inserter on). From my tests, the wooden boxes all run out at the same time, and the belt is fully saturated.
Code

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Your way should work fine, as long as the process downstream uses both lanes evenly. If it takes from mostly one lane (i.e. inserters always prefer to pull from the closest lane), you'll have half the boxes run out before the other. If you think that will be an issue, the setup below will allow each box to contribute fully to either lane, and do so evenly.

6 Lane Balanced Unloader

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I prefer making it as simple as possible
6 blue inserters do unload chests absolutely balanced and almost saturate a blue belt. It is enough for most tasks. This is exactly enough to saturate a full belt of ore after smelting in Prod3 furnaces.
If your unload belt is backing up then outmost inserters start unloading more then central ones but you do not need balanced unloading if you don't have high demand.
Attachments
6-chest-unload.jpg
6-chest-unload.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 5452 times

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

I Don't think there is any simple solution. Take a look at this solution.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ced_train/

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”