90 second rocket base

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks

Would it be more aesthetically pleasing to remove the solar panels from the load-balancer section?

Yes - it would look better to have the panels in the power section only
64%
No - this is a more efficient use of space and makes the base seem more compact
36%

Total votes: 11

Beeblebrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

90 second rocket base

Post by Beeblebrox »

Base overview
Base overview
90s Rocket Base_annotated.jpg (244.66 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Here is my take on the beautiful and efficient designs of DaveMcW, Spock, DerivePi and others. My "innovation" if you can even call it that, is to use the new wait conditions to create an expandable load balancer with a closed-loop train circuit and a migration-free oil-barrel processing station. I am also rather proud of the robot-free launch facility and the "smart" low-buffer refinery setup (the tanks, except for crude, are for decider combinatory inputs only). The design is supposed to be infinitely expandable if you want to add more silos with supporting smelters and rocket part facilities.

Mods: True Long Reach, Blueprint String, Google Maps Factorio style

I have a "Google Map" of the base I would like to share but I can't figure out how to make that happen (your help would be appreciated).

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
Rocket Fuel.JPG
Rocket Fuel.JPG (297.68 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
Based on similar designs in this forum.  I added some blue circuits to make my power armor before the rocket control unit facility was up and running.
Based on similar designs in this forum. I added some blue circuits to make my power armor before the rocket control unit facility was up and running.
Science.JPG (383.35 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
These are the stackers for the smelter supply trains - very similar to DaveMcW's design.
These are the stackers for the smelter supply trains - very similar to DaveMcW's design.
SmelterStacker.JPG (337.61 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Barrel processing station and refinery logic.  The pumps might be unnecessary.  I had about 200 pumpjacks supplying the refinery, each surrounded by beacons with speed mods.  3 trains are in the stacker to pick up filled barrels from each oil field in front train and deliver empty barrels in the rear train.
Barrel processing station and refinery logic. The pumps might be unnecessary. I had about 200 pumpjacks supplying the refinery, each surrounded by beacons with speed mods. 3 trains are in the stacker to pick up filled barrels from each oil field in front train and deliver empty barrels in the rear train.
Refinery Logic.JPG (88.35 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Refinery - modified DaveMcW design (his is more compact but I wanted to independently control the crackers to keep both light oil and petrol topped off (light is better for rocket fuel production)
Refinery - modified DaveMcW design (his is more compact but I wanted to independently control the crackers to keep both light oil and petrol topped off (light is better for rocket fuel production)
Refinery.JPG (260.12 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Smelter with loader.  There are 2 each of these for copper and iron, and a larger one for steel.  Based on a DerivePi design but not as efficient.
Smelter with loader. There are 2 each of these for copper and iron, and a larger one for steel. Based on a DerivePi design but not as efficient.
Smelter with loader.JPG (210.63 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Rocket Control Units - modified Spock design
Rocket Control Units - modified Spock design
Rocket Control Units.JPG (474.63 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Low Density Structure
Low Density Structure
LowDensityStructure.JPG (163.18 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Launch facility for receipt of rocket parts and 90 second satellite builds
Launch facility for receipt of rocket parts and 90 second satellite builds
LaunchFacility.JPG (158.31 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Last edited by Beeblebrox on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pajamas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 90 second rocket base

Post by Pajamas »

Thanks for sharing this, and for giving credit where it is due! I think a lot of us are familiar with the great belt-based designs of Dave, Spock, and Pi, Zuri, Xeteth etc. but implementing them with your own twists is no easy task. The launch facility is also very unique. I don't think I've seen a 90 second base before - if you have it up and running yet, what kind of UPS are you getting? I love these massive belt-based factories, and have always been curious if there is a general limit we can shoot for without seeing any UPS loss. I'm also curious if you planned all these ratios out in advance or built them as you went?

Beautiful factory! :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I love hos this looks like a CPU seen from far above. To answer your poll, keep the solar there, and if you have "things" to fill the empty parts and make your base close to squarish or rectangular shape, you'd achieve this totally :
CPU closeup
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nugetto
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nugetto »

Koub wrote:I love hos this looks like a CPU seen from far above. To answer your poll, keep the solar there, and if you have "things" to fill the empty parts and make your base close to squarish or rectangular shape, you'd achieve this totally :
CPU closeup
I love this. I've never noticed this before with people solar patterns!

Beeblebrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beeblebrox »

Perfect I'll square it up! I am so delighted to get this feedback from a community that has been such a great source of inspiration and support.
I planned out the assembler ratios (not the smelters) with this tool http://rubyruy.github.io/factorio-calc/ but I forgot the additional rocket parts that are needed to make a satellite every 90 seconds (about 20% of what is needed for the rocket if I remember right. Thankfully there is enough excess capacity with speed modules.

I get some barely noticeable frame stutter when I run through the middle of the RCU plant on the sidewalk.

Thanks for the comments.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”