First Large Scale Production

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
ZEUS1629
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

First Large Scale Production

Post by ZEUS1629 »

So im pretty new to the game and after the first game decided to start again and go past just launching the rocket. The goal was to start mass producing modules on an absurd scale. Step one to this was to start making processing units as its the most complicated. The factory may not be the most space saving but ratios are as close as i could get them(if not exact, then ive put at least 1 assembler/chemical plant over) so that it makes 1 processing unit every .5 seconds. biggest problem ive had so far is keeping up with iron and copper ore demands even on very high richness. Maybe one day ill start compacting it, but for now im content to watch it run.
Attachments
.5bluecurcuits.png
.5bluecurcuits.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5892 times

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: First Large Scale Production

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

Wow, that looks great. I love how tidy it all is.
Sometimes humorous, usually congenial. Always Alyx.

My Stuff:
Lunar's Factorio Mod Manager

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Nice indeed, share a blueprint?

ZEUS1629
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ZEUS1629 »

this is a monster of a blueprint string lol
i feel the need to mention that this does make use of the rail tanker mod just in case its not obvious. Also ive let this run for a little while now and ive noticed that the plastic production is slowed due to a lack of petroleum. its not enough to cause a bottleneck as it is a little over the required ratio, this may sort itself out as the sulfer backs up but if anyone nows how to reliably split liquids into equal parts id love to know.
Attachments
ProcessingUnitFactory.txt
(47.08 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

ZEUS1629 wrote:this is a monster of a blueprint string lol
i feel the need to mention that this does make use of the rail tanker mod just in case its not obvious. Also ive let this run for a little while now and ive noticed that the plastic production is slowed due to a lack of petroleum. its not enough to cause a bottleneck as it is a little over the required ratio, this may sort itself out as the sulfer backs up but if anyone nows how to reliably split liquids into equal parts id love to know.
Sounds like you may have too many Sulfur plants. Processing units sip pretty lightly on Sulfuric acid, so it may be the case that you don't need that much of the throughput from your Sulfuric acid plant(s), hence you can cut the number of Sulfur plants a bit (1 Processing unit/sec uses 0.5 Sulfuric acid/sec which requires 0.5 Sulfur/sec=way less than 1 chem plant worth, so I guess it just needs to buffer and then more Petroleum will start hitting your Plastic bar production).

ZEUS1629
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ZEUS1629 »

I think your right. Ill see if it equalizes as sulfer backs up. I do know that sulfuric acid isnt used heavily, but at the same time it has to be enough for 40 different assemblers. Ill try and rework the numbers again and see if ive got too many. The problem is the number of chemical plants isnt even so itll produce a little extra.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

ZEUS1629 wrote:I think your right. Ill see if it equalizes as sulfer backs up. I do know that sulfuric acid isnt used heavily, but at the same time it has to be enough for 40 different assemblers. Ill try and rework the numbers again and see if ive got too many. The problem is the number of chemical plants isnt even so itll produce a little extra.
It's pretty simple to math out:
Ask yourself: how much Processing Units/sec am I producing (ignoring productivity bonuses if applicable) (if you don't know, it's (crafting speed/recipe time)*(# of assemblers)*(# of end products produced per recipe; which is not always 1, as some recipes make more than 1 of of the end product)).
Then, take that times 0.5 (Sulfuric acid cost per Processing unit), and you have Sulfuric acid needed per second.
Then it's just a matter of knowing/computing how fast your chem plants will produce Sulfuric acid. (without modules, it's 6.25/sec, because they have 1.25 crafting speed, and the recipe produces 5 Sulfuric acid and has a recipe time of 1 second).
You can then back this up further by asking: how much sulfur do I actually need? (using the rate that you actually use sulfuric acid, rather than how fast you could produce it) and repeat the previous process for that. Without modules the Sulfur chem plants will each produce 2.5 Sulfur/sec, and 5 Sulfur is used to make 5 Sulfuric acid, so there's a 1-to-1 ratio of Sulfur needed to Sulfuric acid needed (the ratio for the chem plants, without modules, is 2.5 sulfur plants to 1 sulfuric acid plant, but if, for example, you only need 2.5 sulfuric acid/sec then 1 sulfur plant is exactly enough sulfur for that).

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

If everything runs at normal speed with no productivity bonuses, then 1 Sulfur plant can supply 60 assemblers of processing unit (Assembler 3 of course). That's 300 PU/minute. You're making 120 PU/minute, and assuming that you're using PM3 you are still, far, far away from even saturating a single sulfur plant.

You need 1 sulfuric acid plant per 2.4 sulfur plants.

It's easiest if you calculate these ratios with a tool such as Factoratio: http://factorio.rotol.me/pack/base-f13/factoratio/
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

ZEUS1629
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ZEUS1629 »

Thanks for the Website! i had used one kinda similar but that looks a lot easier to use. Im going to be setting up dedicated stations like this one for both red and green circuits before anymore work is done on it. ive already corrected a few errors inside the build and only see more as time goes on. ill post an updated version as things get done.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”