My large base

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

My large base

Post by Hannu »

I have this base. It is able to launch a rocket in about 4 minutes. It works very well. I have not had larger problems during last hundred of hours but it seems that biter activity increases such a speed that I have to strengthen defenses or clear some area outside borders from large bases soon.

I have some limitations.

1. No laser turrets.

Usually I use lasers, but at this time decided to test can I defend by base with guns. Answer is not long time at future. Of course I can put another row of gun turrets but it begins to be annoying. I have made a mod recently, maybe I boost guns somewhat. Unfortunately I understand how awesome new flame turrets are after I made defense lines.

2. No modules except productivity.

Productivity modules keep ore requirements sane (and gives pollution and uses energy). I like large systems so I do not use speed modules and have enough solar panels to produce electricity so I do not need efficiency boost. It is more interesting to build solar farms semi automatically than put modules on existing assemblers. I have some speed modules in assemblers in critical places. I had also speed modules in pumpjacks but I removed (most of) them to get more stations and train traffic.

3. Rail network try to be somewhat realistic.

I know that shorter two headed trains and tree like rail network would be more optimal in Factorio. However, I want that trains look and behave like trains and do otherwise. It seems to work well with my style. The worst problems are I am annoyed when the train chooses occasionally longer route instead of waiting free block and curves and turnouts have too short radius to look beautiful.

4. No high volume robot transfers.

Yes, robots would be more effective and easy to build. However, I like belts and planning problems related to them and do not like huge swarms of robots flying all around my base.

5. No beacons.

I just do not like them. They make huge production too small and easy.

This is video. It is old and I have linked it before in several discussions so it may be familiar to someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUbHAHsxyBY

I have changed and expanded my base after that video. I have kicked iron and copper smelting out of my main base to separate units and almost doubled rocket production capacity. I have opened many new mines. I do not have a video but a savefile. It is 100 MB and game needs more than 5 G memory when running so probably it do not work well in laptops or weak computers. I have 30-40 fps/ups in my i7 3770K@4.2 GHz desktop computer.

I have following mods:
EvoGUI
YARM
Launch Control

File is saved in 0.13.20 but I have loaded it in 0.14 in my modding tests. It loads also without mods but can not keep factory running at full load if player does not send all rockets.

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gb ... 7a39da156c

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”