Static configuration GUI for LTN stops

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Static configuration GUI for LTN stops

Post by mrvn »

Currently the LTN train stops have all the options of the normal train stops and all the extra features are programmed by connecting to the status LED. This allows the stops to be fully controlled by the circuit network, which is great. But it also limits the QoL that can be done.

I would like to propose to add a static config to each stop available by clicking at the status light. This would then bring up a GUI interface that allows the same things as programming the LED through the circuit network. BUT it would allow showing the data in a more human readable form.

For example the Network ID could be shown as a bitmask with 32 fields number 1 to 32 and each one can be clicked to toggle it. No more calculating powers of 2 and wondering what networks 5456556 goes to.

Similar there could be an option to specify amounts in items, stacks, chests, wagons (liter, tanks, wagons for fluids). So for example I would select wooden-chest as unit and then add "request: 6 iron plates". LTN would then convert that to however many iron plates fits into 6 wooden chests. Update to steel chests and simply change the units to steel-chest. Since this is all static configuration through the GUI the LTN stops has to only do this conversion once when the GUI is used and internally it can work with item counts. So the runtime overhead and complexity for this should be minimal. You simply have a table of extra signals to add to whatever the circuit network provides.

The GUI could also show the current state of the stop relative to the static information. So when 10 stacks of iron are set as provider threshold and the circuit network provides 783 iron plates then it could show "Available: 7.8 iron plate stacks" in red. Maybe even a progress bar going from 0 - 200% provided.

Would you be interested in such a GUI extension for LTN?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Static configuration GUI for LTN stops

Post by Optera »

I don't see how that is more comfortable than stamping down a blueprint and setting 2-3 signals.

If you want such a mod though feel free to write it. Make it output the results as constant combinator to hook up to LTN for testing. If that goes well and there is demand for that we can talk about a more seamless interface.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

Optera wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:10 am
Make it output the results as constant combinator to hook up to LTN for testing. If that goes well and there is demand for that we can talk about a more seamless interface.
I have actually thought about making a tool for LTN that would allow you to pick settings and stamp down an appropriately configured constant combinator (or overwrite settings of an existing one). Ultimately decided it would be too much work for little gain.

@OP: Don't let that discourage you. I would almost certainly use that kind of mod if someone made it. If you do go forward with your idea and need help, feel free to ask.

dockmeister
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dockmeister »

mrvn wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:47 am
Would you be interested in such a GUI extension for LTN?
Hi,

mrvn: are you working on such a GUI?
I started to make a custom combinator very similar to your idea. Below is a mockup.

cheers
mockup

MisterFister
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

mrvn wrote:
So for example I would select wooden-chest as unit and then add "request: 6 iron plates". LTN would then convert that to however many iron plates fits into 6 wooden chests. Update to steel chests and simply change the units to steel-chest. [...]

The GUI could also show the current state of the stop relative to the static information. So when 10 stacks of iron are set as provider threshold and the circuit network provides 783 iron plates then it could show "Available: 7.8 iron plate stacks" in red. Maybe even a progress bar going from 0 - 200% provided.
I like the idea of a global-static user-defined "default configuration" for stops, but I'm ignorant as to the backend. I won't comment on the substance of that.

But you speak of specifying quantities in terms beyond mere absolute-quantity counts, which I like.

But what's the use-case for specifying chests explicitly (wood OR steel)? We're loading and unloading trains, with a conceivable maximum transaction involving twenty four red inserters, twelve blue or green inserters, or up to twelve side-loaders if playing with Loader Redux (other mods may introduce other vectors as well.)

I get number of stacks, as that correlates to train wagon capacity and speaks directly to maximum theoretical platform-throughput. I would thus foresee that "forty stacks" would be a common value, as that is the internal size of a vanilla train wagon -- not that Optera himself makes a train mod that diversifies train locos and wagons, so this default value wouldn't always apply.

I get that "wood chest" conveys a meaningful number (sixteen? Am I mistaken on that?) But where and when would you want to unload or on-load exactly that amount of freight into any one or more train wagons?

Full disclosure: my friend and I reset the global default-threshold value from 1k to 1g, specifically force us to always have full-load trains.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

MisterFister wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 pm
mrvn wrote:
So for example I would select wooden-chest as unit and then add "request: 6 iron plates". LTN would then convert that to however many iron plates fits into 6 wooden chests. Update to steel chests and simply change the units to steel-chest. [...]

I like the idea of a global-static user-defined "default configuration" for stops, but I'm ignorant as to the backend. I won't comment on the substance of that.

But you speak of specifying quantities in terms beyond mere absolute-quantity counts, which I like.

But what's the use-case for specifying chests explicitly (wood OR steel)? We're loading and unloading trains, with a conceivable maximum transaction involving twenty four red inserters, twelve blue or green inserters, or up to twelve side-loaders if playing with Loader Redux (other mods may introduce other vectors as well.)

I get number of stacks, as that correlates to train wagon capacity and speaks directly to maximum theoretical platform-throughput. I would thus foresee that "forty stacks" would be a common value, as that is the internal size of a vanilla train wagon -- not that Optera himself makes a train mod that diversifies train locos and wagons, so this default value wouldn't always apply.

I get that "wood chest" conveys a meaningful number (sixteen? Am I mistaken on that?) But where and when would you want to unload or on-load exactly that amount of freight into any one or more train wagons?

Full disclosure: my friend and I reset the global default-threshold value from 1k to 1g, specifically force us to always have full-load trains.
Note: This isn't intended as global default. Each station would have it's own settings. Think of it as just a fancy frontend for the constant combinator you connect to each station.

The stacks concern carrying capacity and are useful for setting the request and provide limits. That way you can say you want a provide or request only full trains no matter what the stack size of the items are.

The use case for chests is for storage capacity. Take for example the electronic circuit factory. It needs iron plates and copper plates in a ratio of 2:3. Say you build a station with 5 wooden chests as buffer chests with filter inserters for iron plates and copper plates. You then want to request 2 wooden chests worth of iron plates and 3 wooden chests worth of copper plates. Any more would mean the train can't be unloaded.

Currently you have to remember how many slots a wooden chest has. 16? 19? 22? See, can't even remember that. Then you have to multiply that by the stack size. Was iron plates stacks of 100? or did some mod change that to 200? So do I set -2800 iron plates or -8800 iron plates? Would be so much easier to set 2 wooden-chest iron plates.

Going through this example makes me realize that it might be useful to give fractions, too. E.g. a warehouse with 2/5 iron plates and 3/5 copper plates.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”