Option to disable train composition output

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Option to disable train composition output

Post by torne »

There's a couple of station designs I'm working on that currently either require a manual configuration step after blueprint placement, or a number of extra combinators, to specify what item type they are supposed to be loading to get it count-exact. If there was an option to disable having the LTN stop output the train composition (which I don't ever use as all my station designs are for specific size trains) then the LTN stop output would already tell me what I need. Any chance of that being added?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Option to disable train composition output

Post by Optera »

I don't see how train composition would interfere with load counting.
Virtual signals, like train composition, are completely ignored by inserter and requester chests in set filter mode.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Set filter mode isn't enough for exact item loading; triggering each inserter at the right count requires knowing which signal you're supposed to be using as the counter to enable/disable, and having the train composition signals prevents using everything/anything or picking an arbitrary signal.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Exact loading is not required for ltn. It works just fine with slightly overloading wagons.
Setting Locked slots per Wagon according to number of inserters and stack size prevents stuck inserters.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

I like the challenge of building setups that can do it, and some of my mixed stations provide a large number of item types that would need many locked slots.

If you don't want to add it, that's fine (there's other ways to do what I want with more combinators or a small amount of manual setup after placing a blueprint), but I just thought I'd ask since it would be somewhat simpler to have only the expected inventory on the wire to begin with.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

For that case wouldn't it be even better to output the number of items missing in the train? Then you could just wire the inserters directly to the train stop with set filter or enable on everything > 0.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

No, it's more efficient to have the game output the train inventory from the stop and have LTN output static target counts, because then the mod code isn't being invoked constantly to adjust the numbers. It's better to leave as much calculation as possible inside the game engine and not in a mod. Using a single combinator to subtract one from the other isn't a problem.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”