Request: variable timeouts based on inserter signal on lamp

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Request: variable timeouts based on inserter signal on lamp

Post by mrvn »

I've run into problems with the timeout when using plain yellow inserters. They are simply too slow to load and unload a train in the time given by default. Now I could just increase the timeout (and I did). But then every stuck train takes that much longer to report an error. High throughput stations get fast inserters / stack inserters first while low throughput stations are fine as is, except for the timeout.

I would like to suggest computing the timeout based on signals to the lamp input. For this the user would have to supply signals showing the type and number of inserters used for loading and unloading to the lamp input. For example: A station with 6 yellow inserters for loading would send yellow-inserter-loading=6 to the lamp. A station with 1 filter inserter for coal unloading and 2 filter inserter for iron unloading would send filter-inserter-unloading=1, i.e. the slowest configuration is send to the lamp.

LTN could then calculate the time to load and unload the requested amount, add the 2s timeout for each station, add some time depending on travel distance. In case of multiple trains per station add time to load/unload the other trains. And last add a fudge factor (e.g. 20% + 3600 ticks, configurable in the mod settings) to allow for red signals or other slowdowns. This would then give an individual timeout value for each delivery..

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Request: variable timeouts based on inserter signal on lamp

Post by Optera »

I'm not going to add that much overhead just for the off chance someone builds a vast LTN network before fully migrating to fast/stack inserter.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Request: variable timeouts based on inserter signal on lamp

Post by steinio »

If you have researched train system and LTN you must have already researched fast inserters.
Otherwise just change the timeout setting...

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Logistic Train Network”