Sending Balanced Trainloads

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

ZeroHero0H
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Sending Balanced Trainloads

Post by ZeroHero0H »

I'm looking for a good pattern to send balanced trainloads, e.g. one train with 400 rocket control units, 400 rocket fuel, and 400 low density structure.

In previous builds I've done this by faking out the inventory to LTN, e.g. if the quantity available is > 400 claim that the quantity=400, tied to a masking clock so the quantity doens't present all the time so that if the demand is high, LTN wouldn't try to send three trains with 1200 each, or w/e. I consider that fairly inelegant.

This may be a case to just use non LTN dedicated trains, similar to what I do with "return to warehouse" trains -- a way to dump overflow stock back to my central warehouse (LTN can't dispatch in both directions without major circuit network hackery, and since the use case is basically "tear down this station and send it all back home" its not bad to have a dedicated regular train schedule for that).

The problem is that the demanding station doesn't draw the quantities down evenly, since I'm building satellites right next to the rocket launcher so that is stealing some components. I want to say "as soon as you have a carload of X, send it along" but rather than three trains of one cargo wagon, I'd like it to use my existing train pool (currently 4 cargo wagons per train). I'm essentially crying because I want to send a wagon of A, a wagon of B, and a wagon of C (each filled) and LTN doesn't do that.

SEPARATE ISSUE:

Another issue I have is deferring train demand for outposts -- if I tell my outpost supply to always stock quantity X, over a broad selection of goods, I have to set the minimum delivery size very small (like 1 unit). But the moment the logistic bots start supplying me with one piece of rail (or w/e) LTN immediately dispatches a train with a very small load, which if I limit deliveries to the station would mean that I'm clocking the full resupply to always be running one round-trip time late. Again, I fake this out by having signal just before my supply train depot which prevents the supply train from reaching the depot until a timer expires from the last time it dispatched a train so that at least I can get 30 or 60 second spacing between trains.

What I'd REALLY like is some way to defer deliveries until the request size has stabilized, but I haven't made a circuit design yet to try fake it with a count of * and a timer, so that the demand load is only presented to LTN when the requesting demand is stable OR has exceeded a threshold for "send it now". I'd be happier if I could get LTN to dispatch after N seconds of constant demand.

Has anyone done some clever circuit network designs to handle either of these cases?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Sending Balanced Trainloads

Post by Optera »

Merged Deliveries:
Don't fake values to LTN, it can take care of merged deliveries if possible and requested. Just make sure your provider is capable of loading specified amounts e.g this one.
Set request station to ~800 each request threshold to 400 and limit trains to 1. If you have even consumption it will trigger merged deliveries, though satellites will make it go uneven pretty fast.

Outposts:
Outposts mostly need at least a full stack of a few items for building and after that even less variety.
Build phase: I set my requester to 1 train with a threshold of 50.
Supply phase: dedicated supply stop set to train limit 2-3 with threshold of 100-200. (Repair packs, ammo, asf.

You can use rolling average to get stabilized values. I never found that necessary when using my logistic network to ltn filter.

Outpost Deconstruction:
Is that something you do fully automated?
How did you solve deconstructing the stop and logistic network when both are required for deconstruction and removal of material?
I call a train there manually, fill it up and let it drop everything back to the building store through a disposal stop, also doubling as material requester, set up to remove anything from a train.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”