Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Deadlocks Stacking for Pyanodons mods

Post by Deadlock989 »

YunoAloe wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm
- Third party stacking mods could use their own customised icons like they've been advised and stop eating up everyone's FPS.
Btw since Py released new graphics for ores just last week, their stacked icons are messed now.
Probably because this stacking mod hasn't updated to the new size.

But that's not what I meant. DSB makes "fake stacks" out of layers if the stacking mod doesn't provide a single sprite for the stacked version. Essentially it's like having four icons instead of one, blowing the FPS savings of stacking away in one go.

YunoAloe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by YunoAloe »

So, how do I actually migrate anyway? I tried to troubleshoot this on pycoaltbaa's side and I'm getting this error when loading save with replaced deprecated mod now:

Error while applying migration: Deadlock's Stacking for Pyanodon: shared.lua

__DeadlocksStackingForPyanadon__/migrations/shared.lua:5: module .pycoalprocessing not found; no such file __DeadlocksStackingForPyanadon__/migrations/pycoalprocessing.lua no such file __core__/lualib/pycoalprocessing.lua
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'require'
__DeadlocksStackingForPyanadon__/migrations/shared.lua:5: in main chunk

YunoAloe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by YunoAloe »

Ok, so I fixed the error in pycoaltbaa, recombined your mods into something that migrates (for me), with a full list of items, alphabetically sorted, no duplicates, fixed mod name in function, made more sense for some research tiers like green science for molybdenum chain. Here it is attached.
Attachments
DeadlocksStacking5Pyanadon_0.1.15.zip
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

YunoAloe wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:59 am
Ok, so I fixed the error in pycoaltbaa, recombined your mods into something that migrates (for me), with a full list of items, alphabetically sorted, no duplicates, fixed mod name in function, made more sense for some research tiers like green science for molybdenum chain. Here it is attached.
hi,
so you are saying that our stacking mod is not working for you
but my deprecated is thats so strange
ive looked to both mods and i see nothing is changed or double named
ill try to change it on this mod
could maybe xplain what you just did to make it work?

YunoAloe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by YunoAloe »

I did https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PyCoalTBa ... 000dbe8d22
It is not the only possible solution.
The migration not working is a separate thing though, looks like something with paths, perhaps you use linux?

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

YunoAloe wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am
I did https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PyCoalTBa ... 000dbe8d22
It is not the only possible solution.
The migration not working is a separate thing though, looks like something with paths, perhaps you use linux?
no linux here its windows 10,
but thats very strange there is such differance between the names and its not working i hope andreas has a solution

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm
YunoAloe wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm
- Third party stacking mods could use their own customised icons like they've been advised and stop eating up everyone's FPS.
Btw since Py released new graphics for ores just last week, their stacked icons are messed now.
Probably because this stacking mod hasn't updated to the new size.

But that's not what I meant. DSB makes "fake stacks" out of layers if the stacking mod doesn't provide a single sprite for the stacked version. Essentially it's like having four icons instead of one, blowing the FPS savings of stacking away in one go.
so you are saying we should convert our mod to icon size 64 in stead off icon size 32?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

chrisdec wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm
so you are saying we should convert our mod to icon size 64 in stead off icon size 32?
No, that's not what I said or meant.

Let me try and break this down for you.

Currently your mod doesn't provide any icons for the stacked version of Py's items. You are using the "easy option" that DSB provides, specifying nil for the stacked items, so DSB has to make performance-eating layered icons out of the base item's icon. You can do this because DSB lets you do it (we arguably shouldn't have let people do it in the first place, but that ship has loooong sailed). But if you do it, you have to specify the same icon size as whatever the base Py mod provides, for each item. If you specify the wrong size, you'll get weird results. If the Py icons change size, and you don't keep up with those changes, you'll get weird results.

What size should they be? I don't know. The list of Py items is like double Dutch to me. I don't know if the base Py mods are using 32 or 64 for their icons, and I don't know if they changed recently or not. It's not my job to know. I hope never to find out. This is why we abstracted support for other mods out into an API in the first place, so that people who know these mods well (as players and as modders) can deal with all this modding quicksand and we don't have to lift a finger but can focus on stuff we actually want to do, e.g. lying on a beach sipping Pina Coladas through a curly straw.

If you provide nil for icons, DSB makes layered icons for stacked items. This is much worse for game performance. You could make your own icons instead. I understand that with so many Py items being stacked, it's off-putting for you to have to make so many stacked icons. But this is what most of the other mods that use the DSB API are doing, e.g. the various Bob-Angel's bridge mods - most of them provide single-layer stacked icons of their own. This is better all round, because (a) you know exactly what size every icon should be, because you made them, and (b) it's a minimum of 4x better for FPS.

So you have two options:

1. Carry on as you are, not providing any icons, but making sure you specify the right size for the Py icons, and remembering that the Py guys have every right to change those icon sizes any time they want to;

or

2. Make your own custom icons so you have total control over the size, won't be messed up by changes in Py without you knowing, and giving much better FPS performance for people using this mod.

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

thanks deadlock for explaining and advice
i dont know how to make icons but maybe The Ghost can (i hope)
now our mod is icon size 32 and i have seen pyanodon's coal processing mod is icon size 64
personally i would like to learn how to make and integrate icons in this mod

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

chrisdec wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 am
now our mod is icon size 32 and i have seen pyanodon's coal processing mod is icon size 64
They just .png image files. Use gimp or photoshop or something to make them.

Technically they can be anything you want to make them but the easiest would probably be to just make the same thing that the deadlock stacking makes with the item layered on top of each other.

If you like I can go thru and make a bunch of icons everything you guys are stacking.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I handcrafted the small set of stack icons from vanilla (and will be doing so again when the new ones drop) but they're hardly into double digits and the Py items list is vast so I can see why that's not an option. I don't know much about GIMP but in Photoshop (even the copy of Photoshop from 2003 that I'm using!) you can set up macros and batch actions to automate this kind of thing. The middle ground would be to automate some kind of batch conversion and then manually tweak a few of the ugliest results.

Someone posted an ImageMagick script for automating it at one point, but I've forgotten who or when or on which thread so that's not much use.

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

kingarthur wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:47 am
chrisdec wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 am
They just .png image files. Use gimp or photoshop or something to make them.

Technically they can be anything you want to make them but the easiest would probably be to just make the same thing that the deadlock stacking makes with the item layered on top of each other.

If you like I can go thru and make a bunch of icons everything you guys are stacking.
We would very much apreciate it iff you could do this for us and offcourse you will be credited for your work ;)

Verhofin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Production costs sugestion

Post by Verhofin »

Hi, I'm playing using your mod and at least for me personally, I think that the loaders are dirt cheap and that their production costs are not scaling correctly with the conveyor cost.

Example, (my game full py suit and QoL):
Case 1:
2 x transport belt = 1 x iron plate + 1 x small parts
Compact loader = 1 x transport belt + 5 x iron plate
(Seems ok)

Case 2:
Fast transport belt = 1 x transport belt + 2 x advanced small parts + 2 x stainless steel
Fast Compact Loader = 1 x Compact loader + 20 x small parts
(shouldn't it cost advanced small parts now?)

Case 3:
Express transport belt = 1 x Fast transport belt + 1 x super alloy + 4 x special small parts + 5 x super steel + 20 x lubricant
Express Compact Loader = 1 x Fast Compact loader + 40 x small parts + 20 x lubricant
(shouldn't it cost special small parts now?)

maybe they should even cost the other metals like, the stainless steel, super alloy and super steel but at least the small parts I think are not progressing correctly, I leave it here in the forum so we can discuss it.

By the way, very nice useful mod, keep up the good work.

EDIT: Grammar

Crixomix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Crixomix »

@the ghost

I hope you guys can figure out how to make the new images as discussed to save fps. Because I hope to use stacking to great impact in my py late game.

Thank you again for all the work you do!

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Production costs sugestion

Post by chrisdec »

Verhofin wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 pm
Hi, I'm playing using your mod and at least for me personally, I think that the loaders are dirt cheap and that their production costs are not scaling correctly with the conveyor cost.

Case 1:
(Seems ok)

Case 2:
Fast transport belt = 1 x transport belt + 2 x advanced small parts + 2 x stainless steel

Case 3:
Express transport belt = 1 x Fast transport belt + 1 x super alloy + 4 x special small parts + 5 x super steel + 20 x lubricant
Express Compact Loader = 1 x Fast Compact loader + 40 x small parts + 20 x lubricant

maybe they should even cost the other metals like, the stainless steel, super alloy and super steel but at least the small parts I think are not progressing correctly, I leave it here in the forum so we can discuss it.

Hello verhofin,
This mod only provides stacking and crating 4 the pyanodon suite, we dont know how to change this either and thanks

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

chrisdec wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:24 pm
Verhofin wrote:

Case 1:
(Seems ok)

Case 2:

Case 3:

Hello verhofin,
This mod only provides stacking and crating 4 the pyanodon suite, we dont know how to change this either and thanks
Pretty sure that's just the standard replacement of materials from pymods.

It's not to terribly difficult I can add an edit to modify the loaders to be more balanced and sens it to you.

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

kingarthur wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:31 pm
chrisdec wrote:
Verhofin wrote:

Case 1:
(Seems ok)

Case 2:

Case 3:

Hello verhofin,

It's not to terribly difficult I can add an edit to modify the loaders to be more balanced and sens it to you.
Go ahead Kingarthur, one question is there a way to subside your work,you provided already so much to us and also the icons you are going to make is great

chrisdec
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chrisdec »

Crixomix wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:02 pm
@the ghost

I hope you guys can figure out how to make the new images as discussed to save fps. Because I hope to use stacking to great impact in my py late game.

Thank you again for all the work you do!
Ive learnt alot now thanks to The Ghost,Kingarthur and others and still im learning knowledge comes with years they say, so hoping to provide this mod with much more stuff for years to come

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

kingarthur wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:31 pm
chrisdec wrote:
Verhofin wrote:
Hello verhofin,

The DSB API lets you do this kind of thing fairly easily.

https://github.com/shanemadden/factorio ... /README.md

Verhofin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Verhofin »

Hi, since the main mod is for vanilla i tough these costs were added on this one.

Thanks for everything.

Return to “PyMods”