make a possibility to have others then shorts

Things that already exist in the current mod API
matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

make a possibility to have others then shorts

Post by matjojo »

I currently have a recipe that uses a lot of one item, like 274167 much. now I have the problem that I can't make the recipe use this much because for factorio the data needs to be converted to unsigned short. Which has a max of 65535. BUT for another recipe, I have an output of 249243, and this one just works. Is there a possibility that also the amount of items needed can be a higher number than 65535? Or is this like a huge performance eater?

Matjojo

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: make a possibility to have others then shorts

Post by Rseding91 »

I don't believe there's any reason recipe counts have specific values limiting counts other than nothing needed more than that at the time.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

I'm honestly curious, what recipe could possibly need over 200k of one item for one crafting? That would take rather a long time to even insert into an assembly machine. With max inserter stack upgrades, so 5 at a time, inserting from 11 sides (leaving 12th for output inserter) with fast inserters, that's only 11*5*2=110/second, which is about half an hour of non-stop inserting.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

GopherAtl wrote:I'm honestly curious, what recipe could possibly need over 200k of one item for one crafting? That would take rather a long time to even insert into an assembly machine. With max inserter stack upgrades, so 5 at a time, inserting from 11 sides (leaving 12th for output inserter) with fast inserters, that's only 11*5*2=110/second, which is about half an hour of non-stop inserting.

It's for creating the MK2 power armor from EMC, where one EMC stands for 1 iron or 1 copper * 1.10 for balancing reasons.
Rseding91 wrote:I don't believe there's any reason recipe counts have specific values limiting counts other than nothing needed more than that at the time.

the game "apparently" sets some of the inputs you give for the recipes into a short automatically. this is the problem(probably) not a set limit.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

matjojo wrote:
GopherAtl wrote:I'm honestly curious, what recipe could possibly need over 200k of one item for one crafting? That would take rather a long time to even insert into an assembly machine. With max inserter stack upgrades, so 5 at a time, inserting from 11 sides (leaving 12th for output inserter) with fast inserters, that's only 11*5*2=110/second, which is about half an hour of non-stop inserting.

It's for creating the MK2 power armor from EMC, where one EMC stands for 1 iron or 1 copper * 1.10 for balancing reasons.
Rseding91 wrote:I don't believe there's any reason recipe counts have specific values limiting counts other than nothing needed more than that at the time.

the game "apparently" sets some of the inputs you give for the recipes into a short automatically. this is the problem(probably) not a set limit.
Unless you intend "takes a million years to move that much emc" to be a balancing mechanism, I'd recommend adding some "compressed emc" objects, that let you pack 100 regular to make 1 emc crystal, 100 of those to make 1 emc diamond, or some such thing, and round the recipes up. Regularly moving around hundreds of thousands of items for a single crafting recipe just seems ... mad XD

Of course, you may have some other solution in mind, or this may be working as intended; in either case, disregard the suggestion.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

GopherAtl wrote: Unless you intend "takes a million years to move that much emc" to be a balancing mechanism, I'd recommend adding some "compressed emc" objects, that let you pack 100 regular to make 1 emc crystal, 100 of those to make 1 emc diamond, or some such thing, and round the recipes up. Regularly moving around hundreds of thousands of items for a single crafting recipe just seems ... mad XD

Of course, you may have some other solution in mind, or this may be working as intended; in either case, disregard the suggestion.
this actually exists and will be possible. but I also want this to be a possibility. Although this will probably not be used very much

Return to “Already exists”