"Hidden" items

Things that already exist in the current mod API
ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

"Hidden" items

Post by ficolas »

There are some items (like in vanilla factorio, the computer) that would be good to be hidden in the filter inserter GUI, and im posting this in modding interface requests, because I ran into this problem with my mod.

Im creating 3^9 weapons for each type so 3(3^9) weapons ( each weapon. haves 3 parts and the parts can be made out of 9 diferent things ), so this isnt possible because of the filter inserters (also, would that lag much when loading the game? if so I can do something like 3(3^3) instead.

So items could have a flag like "hidden" or "hidden-in-filters" or something like so, im sure this can be usefull for other things.

omg 6561 items are lots of items... I dont think it will be possible to load that in a reasonable amount of time.

Also I will be using a for loop to create the items, and. the names will be something like COP-IRO-GOL, the problem is the language file, I will write a little program to make it, but

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Hidden" items

Post by kovarex »

3^9 is 19683 :)
The hidden might make sense, but having this count of items is probably not a good approach, it would be better to store the info about the weapon as independent information in the item object somehow (we would need to allow it)

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

That would be awesome, changing item data with the code can be really awesome, like NBT in minecraft.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

@ficolas
Why don't you use similar approach in making your weapons as default turrets use. Turret is base structure. The weapon power is defined by amunition type.

@Developers
Why don't you use similar approach for other structures so that final properties of structure depens on some special tiems placed in them.
Imagine this:
Instead of current mine you have mine frame as structure. This mine frame then needs to be equiped with special items like drill head (affects how fast can mine work), drill motor (affects which fuel is used like coal oe relectriciy and also affects how eficient it can be - more advanced motor use les fuel for same performance), etc.
This would add ability for upgrading such structures in future when necessary technology is developed. Also by using item durability information you can implement wear and tear of such items (drull heads need to be replaced after a while).
This would also alow much easier modability of such structure as pepole won't be forced to make graphics for all of their mods.

Return to “Already exists”