Add Speed modifier and limit to rails

Things that we aren't going to implement
d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Add Speed modifier and limit to rails

Post by d3x0r »

As a basis of this idea, concrete path/brick path/(solar mat in a mod) have a walking_speed_modifier.

It would be nice if rails could have a quality setting that a simple speed modifier similar to walking speed modifier, and a maximum speed cap (wouldn't matter how good the train is, if the rail is utter crap).

But setting regular rails at 1.0 and 300km/h cap would be good. ( a standard locomotive with wood fuel goes 259.9 or something; call it 260. with rocket fuel it goes 298.1km/h.

There's a mod that has scrap rails and junk trains. Junk trains on wood go 40km/h and on rocket fuel go 60.4km/h. (the fuel multipler says rocket is +180 acceleration; not sure how that's equating to +150% speed on the low side and +40km/h(140%) speed for standard trains. But the rail modifier would then keep even standard locomotive limited in speed on scrap rails. Bio Industries mod has modified cement rails graphics and darker wood rail graphics; I would think cement rails could have a speed modifier > 1.0 and wood slightly less than 1.0 (wood is mean to bridge water; although there is another mod which is just bridge rails and train signals that can be placed on water).

I would set scrap rails at 0.5 modifier with a cap of like 80km/h for instance.

This would add an additional lookup for the train 'what type of rail am I on' and 'speed *= rail.speed_modifier; if( speed > rail.max ) speed -= ( speed - rail.max ) * 0.20; ) // or something; I would imagine players might notice if the train is accelerating to max and just hits a dead end limit on its speed...

I really like this image (google search, 'abandoned railroad tracks') for junk trains, scrap rails, was thinking of applying a jitter to the rails, and a alpha splotches to the underbed... (for junktrains mod)
6a0105371bb32c970b017c31743c78970b-small.jpg
6a0105371bb32c970b017c31743c78970b-small.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add Speed modifier and limit to rails

Post by TheSAguy »

+1

Additional options here

Return to “Won't implement”