Ping / check FPS of all players

Things that we aren't going to implement
Angamara
Inserter
Inserter

Ping / check FPS of all players

Post by Angamara »

in general, latency issues occur on small computer configurations depending on the size of the map.

Reducing the speed of the game usually allows these small configurations to play like any other.

Even if some systems will change to 0.16 to correct most latency issues. Is there a way to know the FPS of each connected player?

Which would allow with a script to be able to automatically change the speed of the game according to the FPS of the players when an admin is not present.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Ping / check FPS of all players

Post by Bilka »

Doesn't sound deterministic to me. I think the game should do this automatically instead of mod having try to do it.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I do not understand why you would want to control this via mod, and I do not see a chance for this being implemented.
But some time ago I made a feature request for what seems to be the actual purpose for your request: 43204

Angamara
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Angamara »

This is actually the same goal as your request.

Implemented FPS verification of each player is perhaps faster and easier than an implementation of an automatic game speed system.

But reducing speed is only one solution among others.

Doing it with a mod also allows the management of other parameters depending on the type of game or mod.
If a mod is particularly greedy with some of these features, the mod creator might choose to run them only if the players are able to follow.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Angamara wrote:If a mod is particularly greedy with some of these features, the mod creator might choose to run them only if the players are able to follow.
Such a functionality is out of the question for vanilla itself, not to mention mods.

Angamara
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Angamara »

Why?

Is it difficult for you to imagine scenario features too greedy?

Return to “Won't implement”