accept "-" as well as "_" in mod folder names?

Things that we aren't going to implement
GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

accept "-" as well as "_" in mod folder names?

Post by GopherAtl »

If the mod's folder/zip could be named in the form "<name>-<version>" as well as "<name>_<version>" then a github source repo with the same name as the mod, can have a branch named as the version number, ex, "0.1.0" and a link to download that branch as a zip will work directly, without modification, as a download link for mods hosted on github.

It's a little thing, but it seems like a very high benefit-to-cost ratio to me.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Outsider
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: accept "-" as well as "_" in mod folder names?

Post by Outsider »

doesn't it already work that way? you can name your mod with these characters in them and you can have the same folder..

for instance my mod is named "advanced-logistics-system"

the folder for the latest version is "advanced-logistics-system_0.2.4"

my project on github is named "advanced-logistics-system" now whenever i make a new release, i tag the release commit using a tag like this "advanced-logistics-system_x.x.x" the x's are replaced with the current release version obviously..

that way on github the releases will have zip files that work right away, you can also use "_" in your mod name if you wanna keep it uniform with the version separator "_"
Advanced Logistics System - Provides a detailed view of your logistics network and the items within it

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: accept "-" as well as "_" in mod folder names?

Post by GopherAtl »

I always tag releases as just "0.1.0" and the resulting zips are "<repo-name>-<release-tag>," and assumed that it always followed that pattern, but I shouldn't put it past google not to have a hard pattern that could result in autogenerated names like "MyThing-MyThing v1.0" so I'll try tagging the releases as the full "name_version" later and see if it does indeed produce a viable mod zip.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Return to “Won't implement”