Allow custom modifiers

Things that we aren't going to implement
Galacticruler
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Allow custom modifiers

Post by Galacticruler »

Similar to inserter stack size bonuses and lab speed bonuses, it'd be quite helpful to be able to custom build modifiers to edit things not currently allowed by the vanilla game.

An example of this would be part of a mod I'm trying to develop a bit more. I was attempting to add a tech that increases the speed of belts, inserters, and assembling machines across the board for all mods and vanilla content when I ran into this seemingly hard-coded wall.
PC is best.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow custom modifiers

Post by bobingabout »

I think the one I'd like to see more than any is.... larger inventory size.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's not how any of this works :)

In order for something like that to work we would need to implement it for every entity that supported it along with saving and loading of the bonuses for every thing added. It's not likely to happen anytime soon.

As for the inventory bonus: that's already in 0.13.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Rseding91 wrote:In order for something like that to work we would need to implement it for every entity that supported it along with saving and loading of the bonuses for every thing added. It's not likely to happen anytime soon.
I actually try to tell people this sort of thing quite often.
There was a joke in the Red Alert 2 (and earlier C&C games in general) to use the tag "canmakestuffup = true", because, well, you were very limited to what you could change.

Anyway, with respect to doing this in factorio, I'm often greeted with "But you can do it in X!", well, factorio isn't X! Factorio is already very versatile with LUA scripting, and everything that is scripting has been accounted for via a game variable, or an event hook, to do more would require more hooks and variables, and dynamic "can make stuff up" hooks aren't here yet.

And even after describing that, they still don't understand why you can't do it.

/rant.
Rseding91 wrote:As for the inventory bonus: that's already in 0.13.
Squee~
I also have a Patreon.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

sounds like a dupe of: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25235

And I'll add the same comment here, the devs could copy the prototypes per force so entities will use the values of the prototype stored in its force and a researched tech will modify the force's prototype.

You won't have more than a handful forces active in a typical game anyway (and only 1 in vanilla)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ratchetfreak wrote:You won't have more than a handful forces active in a typical game anyway (and only 1 in vanilla)
Actually, 3. player, enemies and neutral.
I also have a Patreon.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

bobingabout wrote:
ratchetfreak wrote:You won't have more than a handful forces active in a typical game anyway (and only 1 in vanilla)
Actually, 3. player, enemies and neutral.
But only 1 with research actually happening/actually being relevant

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Prototypes are immutable runtime - everything Factorio works on relies on that being true.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Rseding91 wrote:Prototypes are immutable runtime - everything Factorio works on relies on that being true.
It shouldn't be that hard to make the prototypes of force-owned entities duplicated per force or at least the parts that aren't stuff like bounding boxes, graphics and such. Then getting the value to use will be entity->force->prototypes->requestedValue instead of global->prototypes->requestedValue

Return to “Won't implement”