Merge pipe and pipe-to-ground types

Things that we aren't going to implement
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Merge pipe and pipe-to-ground types

Post by sparr »

I ask this because I want to use the artwork features of the pipe type, including different images for different connection directions, for a pipe-to-ground entity. I can't see any reason they are differentiated. It looks like they could be cleanly merged right now without breaking any functionality.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Merge pipe and pipe-to-ground types

Post by immibis »

sparr wrote:I ask this because I want to use the artwork features of the pipe type, including different images for different connection directions, for a pipe-to-ground entity. I can't see any reason they are differentiated. It looks like they could be cleanly merged right now without breaking any functionality.
I would guess because pipes-to-ground are rotatable and normal pipes are not.

Edit: I don't think pipes-to-ground are what you actually want. It seems like you want normal pipes with underground connections?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

immibis wrote:I would guess because pipes-to-ground are rotatable and normal pipes are not.
Sure, but allowing a single pipe to be rotated wouldn't need to have any effect on how they behave when they have neighbors.
immibis wrote:I don't think pipes-to-ground are what you actually want. It seems like you want normal pipes with underground connections?
I want both types to have all of the features of the other type. I want normal pipes with underground connections, and I want pipe-to-ground with different graphics depending on its neighbors.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

A better suggestion is to add a underground layer to the game we can build to. (Bonus points if they make it player accessible by digging holes.) Where pipes in that layer would connect to pipes above them on the ground layer. Allowing us to make curved underground pipes/belts. Even more points if they make a sky layer so we can build raised pipes and belts that stand on little legs. Which allow for building over some buildings. (And out of biters reach mostly. Till they bite the legs.)

Return to “Won't implement”