player.zoom w > rw?

Things that we aren't going to implement

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: player.zoom w > rw?

Post by daniel34 »

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15361
Rseding91 wrote:player.zoom is a visual property and isn't saved in the game state. It was readable in the past and that was removed because it breaks multiplayer instantly if read.
I don't think this has changed since then.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

daniel34 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15361
Rseding91 wrote:player.zoom is a visual property and isn't saved in the game state. It was readable in the past and that was removed because it breaks multiplayer instantly if read.
I don't think this has changed since then.
Correct. Additionally I can't think of any reason you'd ever want to read the zoom value.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Rseding91 wrote:Additionally I can't think of any reason you'd ever want to read the zoom value.
So you could implement a "jump" zoom mechanism, read the current value, add 0.5 to it, write to it. Then you could press +\- and zoom in and out in your preferred increments.

You could also implement a toggle. Press "X", zoom out to super view, press X again, go back to previous view.

You could also implement a "save view" system like in many RPG's. press <alt> + <F1> save current view (requires location & zoom), press <F1> goto saved view, press <F1> again, return to character.

If you would like I could come up with another couple of reasons why someone would need more information.

Return to “Won't implement”