Cluster Action cluster_count minimum.

Things that we aren't going to implement
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Cluster Action cluster_count minimum.

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The cluster action, from the cluster grenade, is great, since it lets you chain projectiles together. However, due to how AOE damage works in the game, only taking into account the center point of a unit, trying to make grenade-like weapons with tiny AOEs cannot hit large buildings. Hence, using Cluster grenade to make a shotgun-like projectile, a single one, at the impact point, resulting in using it's collision detection.

Unfortunately, you cannot set projectile count to one, which limits my options. I don't want two impacts, since I would have to cut damage and armor in half to make the effect approximately the same.

I would like that minimum to be dropped to one to allow this.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Cluster Action cluster_count minimum.

Post by Rseding91 »

Why not just use the "area" trigger effect item? It does exactly what you're describing wanting: apply some trigger to all entities found in a given area.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

However, due to how AOE damage works in the game, only taking into account the center point of a unit, trying to make grenade-like weapons with tiny AOEs cannot hit large buildings
Am I wrong about this? I would prefer not using this solution admittedly. Going to go test.

Edit: Nope, same problem as before. Only the projectiles themselves look at borders, AOE only looks at center point. Problem still stands.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

I wish that cluster_count can be 1 too.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41517

TL;DR cluster action offers a minimum distance from the center point, perfect for creating decoy over each enemy. But sadly it is not allowed currently.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

A cluster count of 1 makes no sense. What you want is a way for the area trigger effect to apply to anything that touches the area.

Have you tried the "target_entities = false" option in area trigger effect?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

After verifying what I understand from the OP, I think this should go to the bug report?
GIF
AoE is expected to be applied according to collision detection. But it turns out it is applied on the center of entity. That's why the grenade couldn't damage the scaled iron chest until its AoE reached the chest's center point.

Edit: bug report is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44121

But about this:
Rseding91 wrote:A cluster count of 1 makes no sense.
Actually, it makes sense. AFAIK, cluster action is the only option that provides circular spawn area or shoot direction and also offers minimal distance from the center point.
While "offset_deviation" from your suggestion to me only offers rectangular spawn area, which may be a big difference to circular area when the area is large. And it doesn't support minimal distance.
Note that the minimal distance is important, because the decoy may make the enemy stuck if it is spawned exactly on top of the enemy.

Or, imagine, there is a spell that you can summon a lightning strike on the target position. But the spell is not stable. There may be error between the spell target position and the actual strike position. To achieve this, cluster action will be handy. :)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

More importantly, lets you chain effects together. Tank shell hits, releases a fan of shotgun pellets in the direction of impact.

Or, say, fire a projectile with no collision which travels 2-3 distance, then cluster effect, generates a second projectile with collision, letting it go over walls or something, albiet an illusion.

It lets you chain projectiles and effects, which is why I thought it would be great. I hate restrictions like that, since it limits what a modder can do. A player will never have to worry about a value of zero or negative, while a modder can experiment, see what the code does with unintended values, and potentially create effects otherwise impossible.

As a side note, it should really be able to make a fan effect, as in, angle deviation based on the direction the source projectile was traveling.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Won't implement”