Allow trees and other neutral entities to be placed as a different force

Things that we aren't going to implement
MrBurd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow trees and other neutral entities to be placed as a different force

Post by MrBurd »

Currently, when trees and other objects like rocks/resources are placed, they'll always have the 'neutral' force, even when explicitly given the player-creation flag.
When placed using the editor, trees are placed as neutral without having a placeable-neutral flag. Any other flags used (like placeable-player don't seem to have any effects either. Trees seem to ignore these flags, which blocks them from being copy/paste-able, repairable and blueprintable.

I'm asking this as I'm making a mod with decorative artificial trees, which would benefit from being copy-pasteable and placed/repaired by robots as part of larger construction projects (e.g. roads).
Since the tree prototypes have properties not found in any other prototype (as far as I know) like the normal map animation for rustling leaves, these could perhaps be used in mods for other features, like subtle heat effects or other animations involving randomized movements, e.g. fluids.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Allow trees and other neutral entities to be placed as a different force

Post by Rseding91 »

Sorry, but this isn't likely to ever happen.

In order for an entity to be peaceable as non-neutral it means it has to save and load the force it belongs to. Trees and resources do not have those properties and as such do not save/load them. If they did support them it would mean they would all have to save/load those values even when never used in the base game; needlessly making save files larger and using slightly more RAM.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't implement”