[0.17.1] Campaign - don't know what iron looks like

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.1] Campaign - don't know what iron looks like

Post by CDarklock »

This is a frustrating one. I am playing stupid on this run.

The game says "craft a burner mining drill" and I can't; I have no iron plates. I don't know why I have no iron plates. I thought I was supposed to get those from the scrap metal; isn't that what iron plates would be? Scrap metal? I have only built chests and furnaces, which don't use iron plates. I walk around the entire map looking for iron plates. I don't find any.

There is a picture on the upper left window showing me iron ore after it has been mined. It is on a dark grey background and appears blue. The actual iron ore, which I am pretending I have never seen before, is on a sandy background and appears grey. It is also sharper and more angular than the iron ore pictured up top. They don't look the same.

The only way I will know this is iron ore is to accidentally highlight it, so I wander around the map to see whether this happens organically and gets my attention.

It does not, because when I approach the iron ore from the right, all of the interesting stuff is up north so I head that direction. When I approach the iron ore from the left, there is a cliff in the way so I have to walk below it. It is very unlikely that I will walk over or highlight this ore by chance. I walk around the map for several minutes, and it doesn't happen. Compy doesn't say anything.

It would be terribly, terribly helpful if I were told to put the furnace next to the iron ore instead of the copper ore. That would make it much more likely for me to highlight the iron ore and recognise that this is what I need to make iron plates. Alternately, you could force this by tweaking the cliff on the left; since I'm probably going to go no farther south than I have to, ending this cliff a bit more north (or moving the iron a bit south) would pretty much force me to walk directly across it and almost certainly highlight some of it.
Attachments
ironpos.png
ironpos.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 995 times

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”