[0.17.4] Tutorial feedback

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
Vonriel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.4] Tutorial feedback

Post by Vonriel »

I decided to run through the tutorial to give my thoughts on it after reading the latest FFF. I'm going to be a bit nitpicky, and probably more than a little on the side of telling the player more than less.

Placing the Stone Furnace

This is a bit quibbly, I know, but I just wanted to call out a small text correction for the Hints and Tips on the left side of the screen. It might be better to specifically call it the character inventory screen, as new players may think the character screen and character inventory screens are two separate things. Consistency in naming is important, imo, when directing new people around the game.

Mining Coal

The robot helper, who to this point has been something of a guide to what you need to do, runs off into the middle of nowhere. Given that we're introduced to our second resource here, wouldn't it be better for it to move closer to and face the coal? Maybe even introduce the player to what coal and iron are supposed to look like? And I now realize that this could probably have been pointed out in an earlier step, alongside when it showed us what stone is or asked us to get iron for the first burner drill, but I didn't think about it until I got to here.

Anyway, I don't know to what level you want to hold the player's hand versus allowing them to explore, so it may be a conscious decision to force the player to figure out which resources are which after showing them stone. I just wanted to bring it up as a potential thought.

Stockpiling Coal

It occurred to me that the order to build a chest can create a disconnect. Since placing the chest picks up the coal, an attentive first-time player may realize that the coal that was on the ground is now in their inventory instead of the newly-placed chest. In my mind, this could lead to them spending time trying to figure out either how to pick things up, or thinking that the only way to pick up items off the ground at all is to cover over them with a structure.

To me, this would be the perfect moment to teach players about being able to pick up items off the ground with the F key, and then direct them that placing a chest allows them to gather more while not having to physically sit there picking it up.

Reactivating the Assembler

I like the tutorial example of how to set up automation. It was fairly clear about what you can do and how to set things up.

Does the game ever mention how to split stacks before this? I can't recall, but I don't think it did. Specifically, here seems to be a good spot to tell the player they can right-click a stack of items they're holding to place them down one at a time, or right-click a stack in their inventory to pick up half of it. Given that you have ten objects that require coal/fuel, knowing how to split up the stacks feels like a useful bit of advice at this stage.

I can't help but notice the loader/feeder disparity someone else brought up, now that I've hit this point. Those names should definitely be standardized across objectives and objects.

In the next stage, where you have to reactivate the lab, the game doesn't tell you how to read the orientation of an inserter. Yes, this can be figured out fairly easily, especially with how they were presented to you in the tutorial, but a reminder here doesn't seem like it'd hurt. Again, though, I don't know how much you want to hold the player's hand versus allowing them to figure things out on their own.

Copper mining

In the same vein, it seems like by now it might have been time to tell the player that picking up their structures by holding right-click on them can be a useful way to save time. We already have 3 burner drills on iron and one on coal, but we don't really still need all 3 down there, we could save time and early resource/manual mining by simply tearing one down and bringing it up. Yet, I think the only time we've been instructed to right-click a structure up to now has been the one piece of debris with a single iron gear wheel?

I noticed that you mention using F to pick up items here for the first time, so I imagine you get to picking up structures later. But, and maybe I'm just failing to think like someone who has never played the game before, it's already somewhat tedious to have to keep building new drills to keep mining new things. Granted, I get that building drills to feed the ever-expanding mining network is a huge part of free play anyway, but by then you should have automated drill production.

Speaking of not mentioning things, has it been brought up in the tutorial that you can right-click a thing to make five of it at a time, or shift-click it to make as much as you have resources for? Given that we're now at the point where we've had to build 41 transport belts by hand to solve the two most recent objectives, it seems like a good time to point it out.

Finally, now that we're placing lots of structures that we may have stacked up, it could be worth it to tell people that they can cancel placement by pressing Q here as well. I imagine that a new player may have simply dropped the rest of their current stack on the ground because they didn't know how to deselect it, or else has been opening their inventory to place it back in there manually. Neither of which are how I'd be handling things now that I have the knowledge I do, but if I don't know how the controls work, they're how I imagine I'd try to initially solve the issue. If this is changed, it deserves to be mentioned at first up when having to place the stone furnace, and repeated again when the player picks up their transport belts to place them.

Anyway, that's about everything I thought of up to the point where you finish research electronics. Apologies if I missed anything in particular that appears in the hints and tips. I almost missed a more thorough explanation of how to place structures in the first bit, so it's possible there's something else I just didn't see in time, either through inattentiveness or through failing to remember to forget what I already know.

One last thing, though this is more a bug/ui issue than feedback on the flow of the tutorial.

Why is the tooltip in the top-right corner cut off so badly? Is it a problem for my monitor and/or graphics settings specifically, or is it with the tooltips themselves? I'm running the game at 1920x1080 in full screen mode.

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”