Tutorial Design/Popup

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
Silverstar456
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Tutorial Design/Popup

Post by Silverstar456 »

Hey,

i want to give my suggestion to the new old tutorial. In general im happy seeing the old tutorial back, the points i will list now are only for a better player experience and not for the gameplay itself.
Popups
I appreciating using the lua-Console for "monologues" and seperating it from the tasks. What made me quite mad from the beginning on, are the many popups. So you have the text with limited time to read it, than there is a popup at the top left, which is highlighted orange and makes a notification sound, you open your inventory and directly a new text and only a few seconds later again sounds and another popup elsewhere. This was an annoying experience, i always had to search the new popup and was gunned at with sounds. I would suggest to not have that sound, highlighting is enough, let the newbies enjoy the music, and give them a bit more time to find the popups and read them, they are not familiar where the console is and that notifications plop up at the top left. So many corners to look at:
factoriomaybe.PNG
factoriomaybe.PNG (3.1 MiB) Viewed 2674 times
Pause at Popup
While some popups are important, some are not that important, you dont come to an fluid gameplay, because everything gets paused and suddenly stops, i would only make 10% from popups to pause the game, becuase there are important, otherwise they could show up as a help or maybe monologue in the lua-console
Design
So basically everything looks good, but i have two things:
  • The Popup text is quite small(at high res screens) and so its a bit uncomfortable to read everything
  • The Lua-Console looks a bit weird due to its old history, i would recommend a makeover that it looks more like an Chat; For a console its fine, but for a chat it looks a bit out of place to all the other new UI elements
Issues
After tabbing out of the campaign and doing other stuff for 5 Minutes or so, there was no instruction for me anymore. I looked at the console and saw that i want to automate the things, but no advice what to do and the only crafting i could do was: furnace, cooper plate, iron plate. The game felt frozen and i had no clue what to do now:
factoriomaybe2.PNG
factoriomaybe2.PNG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 2673 times
.... Later i realised, i only have to smelt more plates to let the craft a burner popup show up. But that way just showing up due to try and error, what could trigger something.

Smaller Issue:
There are these arrows and circles to show sth., but they are layered in front of the ui elemnts which decreases the player experience a bit
factoriomaybe3.PNG
factoriomaybe3.PNG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 2672 times
I hope i could give some helpful feedback, please add your opinions to my points!
Greetings Silver

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tutorial Design/Popup

Post by ssilk »

Very useful. If you look at the blog posts and go back a little bit (January or so) you can read about that they are reworking the whole tutorial.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Silverstar456
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Silverstar456 »

I dont get you... This is the 18.21 where the three new levels were introduced, i played the three new level and gave my feedback to make the new old tutorial better. I know that the tutorial from the 0.17 is removed and the 0.16 has a makeover, this was the last time i wrote sth in here when i get those
kind of answers, i put a lot time into writing this article ... https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-342
Last edited by Silverstar456 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:45 am
Very useful. If you look at the blog posts and go back a little bit (January or so) you can read about that they are reworking the whole tutorial.
Silverstar456 is commenting on the reworked tutorial. I believe this feedback is important right now.
Silverstar456 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:32 am
I dont get you... This is the 18.21 where the three new levels were introduced, […]
ssilk was probably not aware that tutorial was just released in its reworked version. Don't take his comment too personal.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Exactly. I misunderstood the first sentence. :D Didn’t update due to help fixing mods or wait for fixes to keep my current world going. And the pic looks like it was taken from former tutorial.

But updated today. The new tutorial sounds like I want to play it again.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”