inserters holding the wrong kind of fuel when loading trains

Bugs that are actually features.
TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

inserters holding the wrong kind of fuel when loading trains

Post by TheUnknown007 »

Something I hope should be simple to fix (as it was already done for assemblers) :
When an inserter is fueling a train with inserter stack size bonus, it can jam and take more fuel than needed. This happened with my engineering train, the left locomotive needed only X<5 pieces of coal and 47 pieces of wood, but the inserter took 5 pieces of coal and jammed (see screenshot) (for the record, the right locomotive also needed more wood).
screenshot of jammed inserter and train contents
screenshot of jammed inserter and train contents
Schermafdruk 2016-03-06 01.28.54.png (743.75 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

The easy fix would be to increase the stack size of fuel slots in the train so that any excess fuel can be put in anyway (as was done with assemblers), but I would rather see inserters only picking up the exact amount needed (including any items already picked up by other inserters) to fix problems such as viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4540&p=34202, but that probably requires some mayor code rewriting. Also, to make it almost fully foolproof, the inserters would need to check whether the train is about to leave so that they don't pick up items but can't drop them because the train left, because then they would also be jammed until they could drop the items.

PS: this game is awesome, I can't wait for 0.13.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: inserters holding the wrong kind of fuel when loading trains

Post by DevilXD »

It's not a bug, it's your refueling system design's flaw, you should be using three separated chest for each type of fuel to prevent such a problem.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

DevilXD wrote:It's not a bug, it's your refueling system design's flaw, you should be using three separated chest for each type of fuel to prevent such a problem.
It is a bug, as said, it happened with assemblers too, and they fixed it there, which implies it is not the way it should work => bug.
Another way to look at it is this: if this is not a bug, it is a feature, which I doubt.
What you suggest is simply a way to work around the bug (and one that would work quite well, but that's just too much work. Besides, currently no train uses more than a stack of fuel on any journey, so it won't cause me any problems yet).

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

TheUnknown007 wrote:It is a bug, as said, it happened with assemblers too, and they fixed it there, which implies it is not the way it should work => bug.
Assemblers have flexible stack sizes, so you can for ex. make rocket silo in the assembler which uses 1000 concrete, despite concrete stacking only to 100.
TheUnknown007 wrote:Another way to look at it is this: if this is not a bug, it is a feature, which I doubt.
It doesn't work that way - not a bug doesn't mean that it's a feature - it's a specific mechanic that you, as a designer of your factory, have to have in mind in order to make your factory working.

Return to “Not a bug”