[Oxyd] Enemies not expanding

Bugs that are actually features.
Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Oxyd] Enemies not expanding

Post by Targa »

This may or may not be a bug, but it's confusing nonetheless. I am experiencing issues with enemies not expanding to new bases, even at approximately midway through a game. I used the following command:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.print(tostring(game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.max_expansion_cooldown))
This returned a value of 216000. In one of my older games that value is 3600. I thought I was experiencing a bug with the RSO mod, but the author of that mod confirmed that in his own current game the max_expansion_cooldown value is 3600, and in my saved game it's 216000. The only unknown (as far as posting a bug) is whether this value changes over time due to pollution/destroying nests/time evolution factor. Enemies are definitely not expanding. I used the command:

/c game.local_player.force.chart(game.local_player.surface,{lefttop = {x = -2000, y = -2000}, rightbottom = {x = 2000, y = 2000}})
At the start of my game to reveal the map, and halfway through the game I used it again and the number and position of enemy bases hadn't changed.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Enemies not expanding

Post by Oxyd »

Post the save and your mod folder, please.
Targa wrote:The only unknown (as far as posting a bug) is whether this value changes over time due to pollution/destroying nests/time evolution factor.
It is set in map-settings.lua and doesn't change over time. The vanilla value is indeed 216000, so everything looks okay here.

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Enemies not expanding

Post by Targa »

Here's the saved game file. For mods, I just have RSO and WaiTex.
RSO T2.zip
Enemies not expanding?
(25.31 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
Here's my modified RSO Config file:
config.lua
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Whether that value is vanilla or not, this game seemed strange to me. It's the first and only game I've played where I never once had any part of my base attacked by biters. This made me curious, so I did the map scan again and noticed that the biter bases hadn't appeared to have changed from their positions and numbers at the start of the game. Evolution is almost at 50%, so I had expected a fairly dramatic change.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Oxyd] Enemies not expanding

Post by Oxyd »

I can't reproduce your issue. I loaded your save, and in about 20 minutes, there was a successful biter expansion.

Your evolution factor is 0.49, which means that you should see an expansion once every 30 minutes or so. So everything seems to be in order. Am I missing something?

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

Oxyd wrote:I can't reproduce your issue. I loaded your save, and in about 20 minutes, there was a successful biter expansion.
How do you "see" a biter expansion? I sat there in map view mode for 30 minutes, F5 enabled, with "show_enemy_expansion_candidate_chunks" turned on. I set

game.speed = 16
and used

/c game.local_player.force.chart(game.local_player.surface,{lefttop = {x = -2000, y = -2000}, rightbottom = {x = 2000, y = 2000}})
every few minutes to see if there were any changes in biter bases, or a shift in expansion candidate chunks, of which I saw none (did this after your reply).

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

I did pretty much the same, except without the recharting command (it's not required to see expansion candidates) and with game.speed = 30. And I did see a shift in the expansion chunks. It may be a bit hard to spot since there's so many candidates and if you're looking at the wrong part of the screen, you'll miss it.

Here's the first expansion happening:

Before expansion:

After expansion:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Is this expansion.. kind of correct?
My asumption was that expansion means they will go settle between base and some spawner.

It explains why it's so hard to find it :D

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

orzelek wrote:Is this expansion.. kind of correct?
My asumption was that expansion means they will go settle between base and some spawner.

It explains why it's so hard to find it :D
It means they will build a new base in one of the expansion candidate chunks. Which is exactly what's happening here.

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

Thanks much for taking the time to do all that! It certainly explains why I missed seeing it. I must say though, I'm a bit surprised as well as disappointed a little. Out of all those enemy bases, only a single one expanded? I expected a higher percentage than that. Is there a console command to change the chance for creating a new base?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Targa wrote:Thanks much for taking the time to do all that! It certainly explains why I missed seeing it. I must say though, I'm a bit surprised as well as disappointed a little. Out of all those enemy bases, only a single one expanded? I expected a higher percentage than that. Is there a console command to change the chance for creating a new base?
Yes, it's one expansion at a time. The rate of expansion depends on your evolution factor – it starts at one expansion per hour and goes up to one expansion every five minutes at maximum evolution factor. So the easiest way would be to just produce more pollution and kill some bases to get the evolution factor up. :)

You could try

/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.max_expansion_cooldown = 10 * 3600
to give yourself a bit more challenge. With your evolution factor of nearly 0.5, that would give you one expansion every 7.5 minutes or so, again going up to once every 5 minutes as your evolution factor increases.

Also, moving to not a bug, since everything seems in order here.

Return to “Not a bug”