[0.8.8] logistic network bug?

Bugs that are actually features.
Copperfield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.8.8] logistic network bug?

Post by Copperfield »

Hi,

Im pretty new to this game and so forth.. and loving the game as it is now.. but i found some problem during my playtime in the logistic network.

I got 2 logstic networks running in my game..

Red and green ofcourse..

Now red is storing some items.. and i recently wanted to store other items in the green network..

Currently this is not working..

RED network:

Storing green circuits,advanced circuits and iron gear weels..

GREEN NETWORK:

i want to store alot of copper cables into this network.. but the bots seems to bring them from the green network to the red

Both networks are connected to a different red and green wire.. they dont overlap anything..

TRIED to :

Tried to connect provider chest and smart inserter to a green network.. then to the green storage.. this wont work

Also when hovering over the storage chest from the green network.. tells me the content of the red network aswell..

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.8.8] logistic network bug?

Post by ssilk »

Logistic network: A logistic network is defined by the covered area of a robotic network and includes all logistic chests.
Circuit network: A circuit network is defined by the chests you connect to either red or green wires.

In other words: If you connect chests with wires, that's a circuit network. You can make as many (red or green) networks as you want.

Currently the smart inserters can handle only circuit networks. (This will change in v0.9, where they can access also the logistic network.)

Your problem: You cannot control where logistic bots will store the items.

Solution: To handle a logistic network with circuit network you need to connect all chests in the logistic network to one circuit network. Or you wait for v0.9.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Copperfield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Copperfield »

hmm intresting..

So circuit network dont anything now then?

what's the point of having a circuit network then? only seeing the amount of stored items ?

p.s. hovering over the green network.. still shows the items of red aswell...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Circuit and logistic are in some kind very similar, they see the number of items in the connected chests. But logistic network is automatically connected, circuit not.

I see currently 2 points, where it is useable:
- Circuit network is available before the logistic network and can be used sooner. And it makes much sense to reduce the production of the expensive items, especially for blue potion, because storing unneeded things at that stage is that, what takes the most time.
- They can be used to build some logic, for example: Insert items in this wagon, if the chest 2000 tiles away is not not full. Or some special logic. Best example I can show now is eventually this: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ailable.3F
- With the stack limitation introduced in v0.8, currently most other uses are not so important anymore, but I'm sure, there will be more usages, when more sensors are introduced and more switching is possible.

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ic_network
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... it_network

And to you PS:
- You have logistic network, they are connected, no matter, if you have a wire or not. The connection is done magically by the roboports.
- You have red and green network. They are connected to the chests, you connect them with the red an green wire, not anything else. If you have more than one pole, you need to connect also the poles, to built one network out of two.
- Don't mix them up! Have a detailed look, what you see, if you hover it!

All networks just sum up the items of the connected chests. It's not boolean logic, it's more midi, where every item is one note and the number is how hard you beat that key.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

In other words: the red and green wires are completely unrelated to the robots. Don't think otherwise.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Such short, but correct answers make me thinking folkish from myself.

But I take it as task to improve the wiki. ;)

Copperfield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Copperfield »

thanks for the info..

I was under the impression indeed that the circuit red and green wire networks would work also for storage and distribution with the robots.. might be an idea tho..:P

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

To answer your other question: yes, the point of the red and green wires is to see the total amount of items, but you can also connect them to Smart Inserters, and control the inserter based on the total amount of items. (e.g. make it only turn on when you have less than 1000 iron plates connected)

Copperfield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Copperfield »

immibis wrote:To answer your other question: yes, the point of the red and green wires is to see the total amount of items, but you can also connect them to Smart Inserters, and control the inserter based on the total amount of items. (e.g. make it only turn on when you have less than 1000 iron plates connected)
i know but.. the logistic robots dont see the different between red and green network..

So when having 2 storages in seperate networks.. the robots store them wrong even if the storage chests are connected to the red or green wires

PS. while hovering over chest the total dont display the correct network content.. its shows both red and green storage ( bug )

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The circuit network (red and green wire) doesn't tell the bots anything!! The bots "see" chests in the logistic network only, and don't care anything for a red or green wire.
Red and green wires are only for counting some special number of items in special chests. For example you want to limit the output of some assemblies.

Return to “Not a bug”