[14.21] Stupid construction bots

Bugs that are actually features.
Gnorok
Inserter
Inserter

[14.21] Stupid construction bots

Post by Gnorok »

Construction bots are trying to remove trees, stop in the middle of the process, return to the next roboport and start again. Never ending loop, ups is suffering. Had to cancel the whole construction to stop it.
Attachments
test.zip
(90.97 MiB) Downloaded 76 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [14.21] Stupid construction bots

Post by Rseding91 »

You don't have enough construction robots and the deconstruction orders timed out before your robots could get around to them.

Build more robots or don't issue so many orders at once that they can't get to them within a hours time.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Gnorok
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnorok »

Please have a look at the save game. The player character is standing in the middle of the problem zone.
The robots are there to deconstruct and they try it. They are just moving between the same trees and the roboport.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Gnorok wrote:Please have a look at the save game. The player character is standing in the middle of the problem zone.
The robots are there to deconstruct and they try it. They are just moving between the same trees and the roboport.
No, the robots are there to construct but they can't because there's still a tree in the way and not enough robots available to remove them quickly enough. Hit alt, and you can see that the robot is carrying panels or batteries when they're hovering there. This isn't a bug, you need more robots or fewer orders.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Gnorok
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnorok »

So the deconstruction order times out, but the constuction order is still valid (both were given simultanous with a blueprint order)? That is strange, why haven´t both the same timer? That would prevent such eternal loops....

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Gnorok wrote:So the deconstruction order times out, but the constuction order is still valid (both were given simultanous with a blueprint order)?
Deconstruction orders generated by shift+clicking a blueprint should last forever. That is definitely a bug.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DaveMcW wrote:
Gnorok wrote:So the deconstruction order times out, but the constuction order is still valid (both were given simultanous with a blueprint order)?
Deconstruction orders generated by shift+clicking a blueprint should last forever. That is definitely a bug.
No, it's not. It's working exactly as we programmed it to work which is the definition of not-a-bug.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

1. Blueprints should last forever. (working as designed)
2. Deconstruction orders should time out. (working as designed)
3. Shift+click should generate blueprints and deconstruction orders. (working as designed)
4. Shift+click blueprints fail after an hour - BUG!

Just because a sub-system works as designed, doesn't mean the whole system does.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

There is something to say for deconstruction orders timing out after an hour, if that consumes a lot of processing time. In this case, it's a bit unfortunate. Perhaps a solution that'd take less processing time would be for the ghost objects to periodically check if any objects are blocking their construction and if so, refresh the deconstruction order. This should of course only be done if it was placed with shift-click, and that check period would only need to be as short as the deconstruction order expiry time.

Perhaps as a compromise, maybe deconstruction orders that were given with a shift-click should never time out?
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Gnorok
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnorok »

Rseding91 wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:
No, it's not. It's working exactly as we programmed it to work which is the definition of not-a-bug.
I don´t want to be picky, you guys are doing a great job and I really love factorio. But if a construction robot can get stuck in an endless loop, that is clearly a bug, even when it´s by design :D

Return to “Not a bug”