[15.34] print and tostring desync

Bugs that are actually features.
Cooldude2606
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[15.34] print and tostring desync

Post by Cooldude2606 »

I was helping to make some server side scripts for explosive gaming when I encountered a lot of desyncs around the use of a certain custom command, this lead me to try and find the cause and after much testing I cam to it being the use of tostring and player.print or game.print
To make sure that it was not a scripting problem I opened a non modded multyplayer and got a friend to join, the command of /c game.print(tostring({})) and /c game.print(tostring(game.player)) both caused my friend to desync.
To test that it was not the use of /c causing the desync I made a simple script to run on a dedicated headless server (see control.lua) every 30 seconds it will run game.print(tostring({})) and every 30 seconds with an offset of 15 seconds it will run tostring({}) I created this map using a scenario but it is reproducible without with use of /c.
And as I thought I desynced once the game.print(tostring({})) was ran by the script (see desync report)

I hope that you can find what is causing this desync as it was not like this in previous versions, I'll be bale to provide more context or files if they are needed. Thank you in advanced.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Headless server log if needed (server owner is badgamernl)
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
control.lua
Small script added to headless server.
(450 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times
--- Developer for Explosive Gaming and Clusterio. Please contact me via our Discord. ---

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [15.34] print and tostring desync

Post by Klonan »

Cooldude2606 wrote:I was helping to make some server side scripts for explosive gaming when I encountered a lot of desyncs around the use of a certain custom command, this lead me to try and find the cause and after much testing I cam to it being the use of tostring and player.print or game.print
To make sure that it was not a scripting problem I opened a non modded multyplayer and got a friend to join, the command of /c game.print(tostring({})) and /c game.print(tostring(game.player)) both caused my friend to desync.
To test that it was not the use of /c causing the desync I made a simple script to run on a dedicated headless server (see control.lua) every 30 seconds it will run game.print(tostring({})) and every 30 seconds with an offset of 15 seconds it will run tostring({}) I created this map using a scenario but it is reproducible without with use of /c.
And as I thought I desynced once the game.print(tostring({})) was ran by the script (see desync report)

I hope that you can find what is causing this desync as it was not like this in previous versions, I'll be bale to provide more context or files if they are needed. Thank you in advanced.
You printed the memory address of the table, so just don't do it,
Its been like this for every version of the game

Cooldude2606
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooldude2606 »

Thank you for the fast reply, i just find it strange how i have not found this out yet but also that it is able to write to file with /c game.write_file('temp.log',tostring({})) and not cause a desync but does when printing.
And for context i used a function to return a table as a string but some of the tables had lua:player inside of them which was caussing the desyncs, i will make sure to use player names or indexes from now on.

Thanks again for the fast reply.
--- Developer for Explosive Gaming and Clusterio. Please contact me via our Discord. ---

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

In a nutshell write_file is writing to a file and doesn't care what you write since the game doesn't see it afterword, However print is something everyone sees. so A sees XXXX and B sees YYYYY and since they are not the same things go boom

Return to “Not a bug”