[1.1.3]Menu Simulation is scaled with UI

Bugs that are actually features.
Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.3]Menu Simulation is scaled with UI

Post by Squelch »

Description:

If the UI scale is changed, the map area of the menu simulation is also scaled. This can reveal the magic behind the curtain.

Reproduction:

In the main menu, change the UI scale using the shortcuts CTRL+NUMPAD PLUS or CTRL+NUMPAD MINUS multiple times and witness the viewable map area of the simulation.

Observed:

The map area of the simulation will scale at the same time as the UI. In extreme cases, it reveals the tricks used to create the diorama when scaled down, or much of the action happens offscreen when scaled up.

Supplemental Information:

I acknowledge that the shortcuts are listed under the Debug heading, and should not normally be required to be used. However, the UI is scaled according to the current desktop resolution, and not as a percentage of the current viewport. This causes the UI to become incorrectly scaled if a higher resolution monitor is detached from the system while Factorio is running (commonly when using a laptop) or conversely, when a higher resolution monitor is attached.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.3]Menu Simulation is scaled with UI

Post by posila »

Scaling of the menu simulation with UI is intended due to Factorio and Wube logos being part of the simulation and are intended to be positioned the way they are.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

I see. This is not a big problem, and I report it only as a potential undesirable effect. The UI scaling problem when attaching/detaching a monitor is an annoyance that I have grown accustomed to.

The workaround is to hit CTRL+NUMPAD 0 to reset the UI whenever this happens.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Squelch wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:40 pm
I see. This is not a big problem, and I report it only as a potential undesirable effect. The UI scaling problem when attaching/detaching a monitor is an annoyance that I have grown accustomed to.

The workaround is to hit CTRL+NUMPAD 0 to reset the UI whenever this happens.
What would be the issue with just always using the automatic UI scaling? This is what you activate with CTRL+NUMPAD0. It should always use a reasonable UI scale for the resolution the game is currently rendered at. And it will dynamically change if you change window size / monitor resolution.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

valneq wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:21 pm
What would be the issue with just always using the automatic UI scaling? This is what you activate with CTRL+NUMPAD0. It should always use a reasonable UI scale for the resolution the game is currently rendered at. And it will dynamically change if you change window size / monitor resolution.
The default scaling is not always best suited for my tired old eyes so I use the incremental option. The report is for what I thought might be the undesirable effect of revealing the simulation map. There seems to be a specific reason for that, so what must be the edge case of changing scale when changing monitors is just a quirk. Preferably, I'd like the UI to be scaled as a percentage of the viewport, but that's a feature request and not in scope.

Return to “Not a bug”