[1.1.80] Boiler stops accepting fluid above certain temperature after fluid migration

Bugs that are actually features.
curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.80] Boiler stops accepting fluid above certain temperature after fluid migration

Post by curiosity »

To reproduce:
1. Place a vanilla boiler with some infinite pipes going to and from it. Provide it with fuel. Ensure it functions. Save and close the game.
2. Change max_temperature of water to 150. This has to be the boiler's input fluid.
3. Load the game and open the above save. Adjust the temperature of water going into the boiler to be above 100 (water's old max_temperature), although make sure to set it below 165, otherwise the boiler will jam (which is why the example new max_temperature is lower than that). Observe that the boiler stopped working and has nothing in its input fluidbox.
4. Mine the boiler and place it back. Observe that it is accepting the new temperature correctly.

Expected behavior: boiler should not have to be re-placed to work with a new valid temperature.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [boskid][1.1.80] Boiler stops accepting fluid above certain temperature after fluid migration

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report however i am forced to call this a "Not a bug". The issue here is that a FluidBox has a fluid filter which is copying some values from the FluidBoxPrototype (the FluidID) and FluidPrototype (related to the FluidID filter like the default fluid temperature and max fluid temperature) when the boiler is created but they are not updated on prototypes data change. This is a conflict of 2 value sources: one being the prototype and one being the save file in which case the save file state wins when loading. I could change that but there are some entities that are purely dependant on this behavior like InfinityPipe and it is also possible to set fluid filter with a temperature from script even on a plain pipe and having filters cleared on load would cause a save-load instabilities or annoying filter changes once prototypes data are changing. So far i am moving this back to Bug reports as maybe other developer would find a nice solution for this.

Return to “Not a bug”