[Linux] GLSL Not supported error

Bugs that are actually features.
mcgiwer
Inserter
Inserter

[Linux] GLSL Not supported error

Post by mcgiwer »

Since OpenGL and graphic driver have become newer with the next releases of Linux, there started (after fixing the GSXBadFBConfig error), to appear an error of not supported GLSL version (like on this screenshoot)

It look like it have been forgotten to become updated in factorio to support the never versions of OpenGL related components (above the latest supported 1.20, where the latest one is 4.5).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Linux] GLSL Not supported error

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This error is saying that your computer only supports versions 1.1, 1.2, and 1.0 ES. But the game requires at least version 3.3.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mcgiwer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcgiwer »

Hello. I had updated the drivers and now it supports OpenGL 4.5 and got the latest GLSL, but the error still appear

If you read it more troughtly, you will see that it's a factorio issue.

The installed on my Debian GLSL is at latest 3.30 and the message tell's that the game does not support glsl newer then 1.20

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Factorio shaders are specifically marked as needing version 3.3 (the error you're seeing). You can verify this by looking in the shader file the error mentions and seeing the first line is "#version 330"

A quick search brings me here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/525 ... untu-18-04

mcgiwer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcgiwer »

I tryed to do the bypass like it was on stackoverflow (and other pages) and factorio keeps complaining that the installed GLSL is newer then the supported one

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mcgiwer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:12 pm
I tryed to do the bypass like it was on stackoverflow (and other pages) and factorio keeps complaining that the installed GLSL is newer then the supported one
What is the specific error you're getting?

mcgiwer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcgiwer »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:38 pm
mcgiwer wrote:
Please see the screenshoot included to this post

I understand from it that Factorio support GLSL in versions 1.0 (and it's variant and 1.2), but doesn't support newer ones (the one I got installed is newer then 3.0)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mcgiwer wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:36 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:38 pm
mcgiwer wrote:
Please see the screenshoot included to this post

I understand from it that Factorio support GLSL in versions 1.0 (and it's variant and 1.2), but doesn't support newer ones (the one I got installed is newer then 3.0)
That error is saying the opposite of what you think it's saying.

It is saying: "The Factorio shader sprite.frag requires GLSL 3.30 but this computer only says it supports 1.10, 1.20, and 1.00 ES"

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Is this still the same computer as 2 years ago that has a ATI RS690 [Radeon X1200] in it that only supports OpenGL 2.0 (and because of that Glsl 1.2 max)

Old post: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=99623

Also you did an override on the OpenGL version your system reports. (MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5)
Could that be the reason for you running in this problem now?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=109547

mcgiwer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcgiwer »

Answering on both questions in one post:
  • Yes, it's the same pc. When I had launched the previous stable Factorio on it (It was running earlier as a temporary system Ubuntu 14.10), Factorio was working correctly. However, when I had installed Debian (bookworm) and had downloaded the recent version of Factorio then it didn't wanted to run and started to see the OpenGL and GLSL errors, even if I had updated anything (graphic driver, Vulkan, Mesa, OpenGL, GLDL, etc.) to the latest avaliable versions
  • The variable of "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5" was a proposed on many sites, like StackOverflow (and related) as a fix for the error: "Unable to create OpenGL context: GSXBadFBConfig" error

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Try any game version before 0.17. 0.16 anything. 0.17 requires OpenGL 3.3 or newer and your GPU does not support that.

Alternatively: you seem long overdue for a newer computer.

mcgiwer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcgiwer »

Rseding91 wrote: Alternatively: you seem long overdue for a newer computer.
Unfortunatelly, I'm currently unable to afford myself neither a new pc, nor a monitor with DVI (only output type in my second and better graphical card) :-(

Xoriun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xoriun »

There are adapters from DVI to HDMI/VGA for about $5-15 if that would help.

Return to “Not a bug”