[1.1.96] Bypassing the multiplayer password when updating the game

Bugs that are actually features.
Sheridan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.96] Bypassing the multiplayer password when updating the game

Post by Sheridan »

After updating the game server and mods, when connecting to the server and updating the client, followed by updating mods, it becomes possible to enter a multiplayer game without entering a password. The password is simply not asked, login to the server occurs immediately.

I recorded a video to show how it happens
Perhaps it is important that the server is specified on the command line. I didn't check

I noticed this behavior back in version 1.1.96, but decided that it seemed to me
Attachments
server_and_client_logs.tar.bz2
(41.23 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.96] Bypassing the multiplayer password when updating the game

Post by boskid »

I am confused, how is it possible to report a feature as a bug?

1.1.61 has this feature mentioned in changelog:
1.1.61 changelog wrote:Changes
- The game no longer requires re-entering server passwords when restarting to sync mods or mod settings.
If you were previously connected to that server, pressing the continue button will connect to the server using remembered password, it was also made so that the password is remembered across restarts, what is the bug you are reporting? Its not bypass, it is using password that you previously entered.

Sheridan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sheridan »

The failure of the RecipeBook mod specified in the server logs most likely has nothing to do with the problem. There the failure occurs some time after a successful login, after downloading recipes.

Sheridan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sheridan »

Usually the server asks me for a password. The video shows this when i reconnect to the same game.

On the other hand, most likely the password is not cached if the server is specified on the command line. I might not have noticed it, since I very rarely connect by pressing a button, almost always specify the server on the command line.

Sorry to bother you if so.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

In the video, in 0:37 you pressed "Continue" which will use remembered password. One of the logs (most likely created after mod sync and restart) contains the command line parameters with password in it. I am considering this to be not a bug.

Sheridan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sheridan »

Later, at 1:18, I exit the game and immediately connect to it. The server asks for the password. That's why I decided there was a bug.
I do not insist, I explain why I decided that there is a bug :)

Return to “Not a bug”