[1.1.82] Fluid Abnormalities Fueling Failed Speedrun

Bugs that are actually features.
thedoh
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.82] Fluid Abnormalities Fueling Failed Speedrun

Post by thedoh »

First off: I know this is for an old version, but Bilka suggested that posting the bug with a replay could be "interesting" (What I'm saying is, blame Bilka :D ).

The problem is as follows: During this 100% speedrun, from June 9th, 2023, I had to fail the run because there was a severe problem in the fluid system. The pump at {68, 215.5}, pointing East, is meant to have a throughput of approximately 1300 water/s, but upon loading the savegame, one will notice that it has a throughput of approximately 237 water/s. This results in a catastrophic lack of water to the East side of the base resulting in a severe shortage in petroleum products (due to the advanced oil processing that isn't working in many of the southeastern oil refineries), killing the run.

This particular problem is periodic and appears to be related somehow to bot build order; I've had this problem at least once before this as well.

Bilka suggested loading the game while holding the control key (and in single player) and this seems to resolve the throughput issue. (Also opening the savegame in 1.1.83+ works for the same reason holding the control key works, I learned from Bilka.)

It is my hope that providing the replay can help to diagnose and resolve the problem so that fluid stuff can be a bit more consistent.

NOTE: During the speedrun I attempted a fix by dragging another pipe of water, but do not be confused! I screwed it up in my haste and the extra pipe is not truly connected due to a wrong pipe at {94.5, 95.5}. It could be deceiving to look at it quickly and think that the pipe is working.

The save game is attached.
Attachments
wtf water.zip
(32.21 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.82] Fluid Abnormalities Fueling Failed Speedrun

Post by Bilka »

I talked to an expert. The flow problems are related to update order which depends on build order. It is expected that the "prototype changed" mode (loading with ctrl key) affects update order because fluid box connections are recomputed from scratch. That makes this not a bug.

Thank you for reporting it anyway.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Not a bug”