[0.12.1] Negative count in logistic network

Bugs that are actually features.
kosievdmerwe
Inserter
Inserter

[0.12.1] Negative count in logistic network

Post by kosievdmerwe »

Sometimes the logistic network shows it has -1 of some item available. This happens when there is barely enough production of the item, I've also got logistic robots capacity upgraded.
Attachments
negative logistic count.png
negative logistic count.png (304.71 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.1] Negative count in logistic network

Post by johanwanderer »

This has happened since the beginning. It's even on the wiki :) (doesn't make it less of a bug)

I'm guessing if you have 2 steel pieces in a chest, and a robot comes for it (carrying size = 5) it might reserve 5 pieces (making -3 in the display). It's kind of annoying to see numbers bouncing up and down, but fairly harmless.

The up side is, if the assembler / furnace / whatever puts extra steel into the same chest before the robot gets there, the robot would get them all, instead of leaving some behind.

Also, to me negative number indicates that the demand is outstripping supply, but the factory is still producing some. I would even advocate that they add all requesting numbers to that, and make it even more negative, so I can tell immediately if the network needs something. Use the same example above, if you have 10 requester chests, each requesting 100 steel (and they're all empty), I would like to see -998 steel in the display.

kosievdmerwe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kosievdmerwe »

johanwanderer wrote:This has happened since the beginning. It's even on the wiki :) (doesn't make it less of a bug)
I did a forum search and a quick glance didn't show me anything, didn't think this would be in the wiki!
johanwanderer wrote:I'm guessing if you have 2 steel pieces in a chest, and a robot comes for it (carrying size = 5) it might reserve 5 pieces (making -3 in the display). It's kind of annoying to see numbers bouncing up and down, but fairly harmless.

The up side is, if the assembler / furnace / whatever puts extra steel into the same chest before the robot gets there, the robot would get them all, instead of leaving some behind.

Also, to me negative number indicates that the demand is outstripping supply, but the factory is still producing some. I would even advocate that they add all requesting numbers to that, and make it even more negative, so I can tell immediately if the network needs something. Use the same example above, if you have 10 requester chests, each requesting 100 steel (and they're all empty), I would like to see -998 steel in the display.
I actually like the idea of making showing you how much of a shortfall you have, but I wonder how you could display this shortfall in a way such that people like me don't come around and make silly bug reports.
One option is to add another group with the title "Shortfall" (or something), which lists the items you need to meet demand.

This would exacerbate the problem of the list of resources in the logistic network getting cut off due to your window height however.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

kosievdmerwe wrote:I did a forum search and a quick glance didn't show me anything, didn't think this would be in the wiki!
I was referring to this: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ve_numbers

Return to “Not a bug”