Tearing without Vsync but only 60fps - GTX 780 AMP

Bugs that are actually features.
Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Tearing without Vsync but only 60fps - GTX 780 AMP

Post by Nic »

No matter if I select Vsync or not I always "only" have 60fps. Also I get tearing even though I don't have more than 60fps (measured with FRAPS).
I am using the nVidia GTX 780 GPU (as the Zotac AMP version).
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

logris
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Tearing without Vsync but only 60fps - GTX 780 AMP

Post by logris »

Nic wrote:No matter if I select Vsync or not I always "only" have 60fps. Also I get tearing even though I don't have more than 60fps (measured with FRAPS).
I am using the nVidia GTX 780 GPU (as the Zotac AMP version).
Factorio limits to "only" 60 FPS as it only does 60 UPS (updates per second).
Because the game state is only able to change 60 times a second, there is no point drawing it to the screen more frequently than this.

Are you getting tearing with Vsync enabled? If you are only getting it with Vsync disabled then that is to be expected.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yup, Factorio's maximum framerate is 60FPS, because of the 60 Updates per second system used in the "Step Lock" used for Procedural Syncronisation.

Tearing is a very common symptom of any system not using VSync, why anyone would not have VSync turned on (or even Vsync support in other games) is beyond me.

It's just one of those things I have an opinion about. VSync, Always on, no exceptions, I'd rather have a decreased framerate due to framelock when it can't quite get up to 60 FPS than end up with tearing. (So 30 instead of 58 if it can't quite keep up with 60, as an example.)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, unless you get tearing with vsync on, it is not a bug, as Factorio can't have more than 60 fps.

It could theoretically have more (like 120), if we extrapolated the player movement in the inter-frames, so the movement could feel smoother, but it is not our priority now, as 60fps is enough for most people.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

kovarex wrote:Hello, unless you get tearing with vsync on, it is not a bug, as Factorio can't have more than 60 fps.
With Vsync on there is no tearing.
I only wondered why FRAPS says I have 60fps constantly but get tearing anyways - shouldn't there be no tearing if there are "only" 60fps?
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Nic wrote:
kovarex wrote:Hello, unless you get tearing with vsync on, it is not a bug, as Factorio can't have more than 60 fps.
With Vsync on there is no tearing.
I only wondered why FRAPS says I have 60fps constantly but get tearing anyways - shouldn't there be no tearing if there are "only" 60fps?
Vsync not only limits FPS but also makes sure that flipping from one image to the next happens during vblank and not when one image is already halfway displayed, no matter how often that happens per second.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

prg wrote:
Nic wrote:
Vsync not only limits FPS but also makes sure that flipping from one image to the next happens during vblank and not when one image is already halfway displayed, no matter how often that happens per second.
Never thought of that, thank you :)

Return to “Not a bug”